The Cine-Files

, by Maya Kazan,

I can’t believe how rapidly we are approaching Thanksgiving Break! It seems impossible that midterms have passed and we’re preparing for the new semester. We’ve already got a new slate of films ready for next year, but I want to take this moment to remind faithful patrons of the Film Series that if there is a film (new or old) that you want to see, please send us a request at wesleyanfilmseries@gmail.com. We will definitely consider your recommendations. Very few people take advantage of the opportunity to suggest films, but we’d love to know what you have to say. You’re also welcome to email any member of the Film Board. Our names are listed at the bottom of our quarterly calendars. We would appreciate the feedback.

This week on the Film Series we will deliver on our promise to screen a movie that was in heavy demand. I know you were all disappointed when we didn’t show it because we bragged about it and we talked it up. When you got your calendars in September, you called us a bunch of black-hearted rogues and wished that our cold little hearts would perish. Despite our injured pride, we have carried on and the maxim “ask and ye shall receive” may bear weight once more.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

1968. USA. Dir: Stanley Kubrick. 141 min.

Friday, Nov. 14, 8 p.m., $5

I would like to remind the audience that there is no smoking in the Goldsmith Family Cinema. Moreover, if you haven’t seen this beloved cult film, I would like to remind you that you will have more dorm credibility once you have actually seen it. This film is a serious visual treat for all audience members, whether you are an aficionado or just like to have a really sweet viewing experience. Um, this movie is badass.

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

1957. USA. Dir: David Lean. 161 min.

Saturday, Nov. 15, 8 p,m., FREE

This film gives a new take on the Copenhagen Syndrome: the protagonist is driven by love for his current project rather than affection for his captors. Despite ethical implications, he is building the perfect bridge (can you guess where?). Furthermore, in spite of patriotic loyalty, he cannot consider the bridge being threatened, even by his own army. David Lean consistently delivers beauty onscreen and the wonderful cast of actors (Alec Guinness gives one of his best performances) makes the protagonist’s obsession all the more intriguing.

ANNIE HALL

1977. USA. Dir: Woody Allen. 93 min.

Wednesday, Nov. 19, 8 p.m., $5

Allen gives us yet another clue into what romance with him might be like in this classic romantic comedy. The masterful writer-director also clues us in to the reasons for our own failed love affairs. One of Allen’s more interesting films, especially in terms of formal innovation. If you haven’t seen this, you’re in for a treat. If you have seen this, you know that you’d be crazy to pass this one up.

THE THREEPENNY OPERA

1931. Germany. Dir: Georg Wilhelm Pabst. 112 min.

Thursday, Nov. 20, 8 p.m., FREE

This semester, there’s an on-campus production of the Brecht play upon which this film was based. Pabst applies German Expressionist style to the movie musical. If you’re wondering where somebody got the idea for “Mack the Knife” came from, look no further.