The Cine-Files

, by Scott Varnado,

Greetings to my fellow film fans, and to those less fortunate among us who have yet to experience the Wesleyan Film Series. Well, if you happen to fall into the latter group, there could not be a better week to pop your Film Series cherry. That’s right, there really is something for everyone in the next four films. Robots, abortions, serial killers and Winona Ryder; just take your pick… or if you’re smart, take them all!

These four distinct and amazing films completely exemplify the variety and awesomeness of the Wesleyan Film Series. The Film Board has also been hard at work finalizing our next calendar; so if you thought this month was good, just wait until after Fall Break. But for now, behold what is quite possibly the greatest line-up of films ever on the Film Series!

“Heathers”
1989. USA. Dir. Michael Lehmann. With Winona Ryder, Christian Slater. 102
min.
Friday, Sept. 19, 8 p.m., $5
Maybe you remember seeing this film on TBS late at night when you were, like, 10 years old, maybe you don’t. Either way, this is one of the true gems of 1980s teen films. The “Heathers” are the bitchiest, coolest girls at school, and one by one, they start committing “suicide” — but something is fishy. And now, for a SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT, you are in for a special treat tonight! Producer Denise Di Novi (“Edward Scissorhands,” “Batman Returns,” “The Nightmare Before Christmas”) will be here to introduce her film and answer all your questions afterwards! Don’t miss this chance to meet a big-time Hollywood producer!

“Metropolis”
1927. Germany. Dir. Fritz Lang. With Alfred Abel, Brigitte Helm. 120 min.
Saturday, Sept. 20, 8 p.m., FREE!
This is one of the classics of early cinema, and there really is no other film like it. “Metropolis,” director Fritz Lang’s expressionistic masterpiece, tells the story of a dystopic future in which cities are defined by class warfare between workers and capitalist bosses. Take advantage of this rare opportunity to view “Metropolis,” with its astounding visuals, on 35mm in our state-of-the-art cinema, and come find out what a true genius Lang really was.

“4 Months, 3 Weeks. 2 Days”
2007. Romania. Dir: Cristian Mungiu. With Anamaria Marinca, Laura Vasiliu.
113 min.
Wednesday, Sept. 24, 8 p.m., $5
Mungiu’s film was one of last year’s most critically acclaimed films, winning rave reviews as well as the Palme d’Or and FIPRESCI awards at Cannes. This is a serious work centered on a young woman’s attempt to have an illegal abortion in Communist-era Bucharest. But, more than that, it’s a moving meditation on friendship and desperation. This is one of those films that you will ponder long after the credits roll.

“Badlands”
1973. USA. Dir. Terrence Malick. With Sissy Spacek, Martin Sheen. 95 min.
Thursday, Sept. 25, 8 p.m., FREE!
If you are currently an upperclassmen who has long frequented the Film Series, then you have had the great privilege of seeing nearly all of Terrence Malick’s work. Well, he has only made four films so far, but this is the third one we have shown (along with “Days of Heaven” and “The New World”). This is the feature film debut from a director who is considered to be one of the best working today. Based upon a true story that has been adapted numerous times, this is the original telling of the brutal Starkweather-Fugate killing spree of the 1950s. And Martin Sheen is hotter than ever! Who knew murder could be so beautiful?