The Cine-Files

, by Maya Kazan,

Classes may finally be in full swing, but I hardly think that’s a reason to stop pretending we’re at Camp Wes. This week we’ve got quite a lot of cheery action, designed to keep your mind off the encroaching cold weather, regardless of whether you’ve found someone to make the nights less chilly. This week errs on the uplifting — though no less ironic — side, so if you’ve found yourself a cutie, these flicks are all perfect date movies (as if Wesleyan students DATE, har har har). If not, they’re still bound to send you out of the theater with a smile on your face.

“Shine a Light”
2008. USA. Dir. Martin Scorsese. 122 min.
Remember: This is the Film Series’ musicals week! This acclaimed doc from Scorsese makes up the second half of our Stones duo this week. Watch the old boys in action, and see if they’ve really calmed down as much as people say they have. Chock full of great music and great gossip, Scorsese gets into the nitty-gritty of what making a documentary on the Stones is really like. Also, the last shot of this movie uses a body double, and that body double was a Wesleyan student. See if you can figure out which member of Eclectic can pass for Mick Jagger!
TONIGHT, September 12, $5.

“Singin’ in the Rain”
1952. USA. Dir. Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly. 103 min.
This musical, long accepted as a classic, deserves another look. For all its song and dance, it is a very sarcastic and funny take on the history of the film business. A great complement to any Film History class, but also to a great evening out. Romance, umbrellas, Gene Kelly…
SATURDAY, September 13, Free.

“Iron Man”
2008. USA. Dir. Jon Favreau. 126 min.
ROBOTS! MACHINES! GIANT METAL SUITS! ROBERT DOWNEY JR.! If you missed this, or you saw it at Destinta (where the projection sucked) you’d better come catch it in our theater. Besides, who doesn’t need a little more superhero in their lives?
WEDNESDAY, September 17, $5.

FILM SERIES OPEN HOUSE
Attention Frosh and All Sophomores Who Like Movies: This is a great event, where the Film Studies Department opens its vaults and shows the campus some of their favorite thesis films from years past. You’ll also hear a little about what it means to be a Film Major at Wes (clearly the best major, though it’s possible that I might be biased…), all of which will be followed by FREE COOKIES. It’s a great opportunity to see some cool shorts, meet the film professors (as well as other people on campus who are interested in film) and get a free tasty snack.
THURSDAY, September 18, Free (with cookies!)