This week on the Film Series…the new Film Board swings into action! I know we all love this year’s seniors, despite their tweaked behavior in the last couple weeks (you’re almost done! I swear!). But sadly, it’s the middle of April, and you know what that means: sunshine; Foss Hill; hook-ups that maybe shouldn’t happen; awesome movies on the Film Series, and a whole mess of seniors getting totally trashed in preparation for their departure from their alma mater. Fittingly, now is also the time for the old Film Board to go its merry way, and next year’s Board to try and fill the very large leather shoes of the class of 2008. In other, perhaps more coherent words: Thad and Melissa are moving on. We salute them, and their witty Argus columns, and we will attempt to carry the torch for the next year. Watch this space and let us tell you about the super sweet films that we’re showing on the Film Series. This week is no exception to the “awesome films always show during the last quarter” rule.

JUNO
USA, Dir. Jason Reitman, 2007
TONIGHT, April 11, 7:30 p.m.
$4

Tonight, come out to see beautiful young people having babies. I know a lot of you may have already seen this film, considering it was pretty widely liked, but may I remind you of a few key reasons that you might want to see it again, or to see it for the first time: Witty repartee (It won an Academy Award for Best Screenplay after all!); Michael Cera; Michael Cera singing and playing Moldy Peaches songs; Michael Cera in tiny shorts. A really different kind of love story. With Micheal Cera. Okay, I might be done, but seriously. This film was interesting, sweet, quite funny, and worth seeing on the big screen, whatever your baby-making politics may be.

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER
USA, Dir. Charles Laughton, 1955.
SATURDAY, April 12th, 7:30 p.m.
Free

An exceptional actor and genius screenwriter, Charles Laughton produced exactly one masterpiece as a filmmaker: this lyrical examination of good and evil, of religion and moral justice. Countless directors have paid homage to this expressionist film noir, including “Do the Right Thing,” “Raising Arizona,” “The Big Lebowski,” and the “Rocky Horror Picture Show.” This film has inspired material by Bruce Springsteen, The Clash, Rob Zombie, Mike Patton and the Murder City Devils. Could it be any cooler? A flop upon its original release, it stands now as a pinnacle in the film noir genre and remains the ultimate cult classic for a reason. Striking cinematography from Stanley Cortez frames unforgettable performances by Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters and the silent screen legend Lillian Gish. But this film is unique. It will scare you. Like really, really scare you. “Night of the Hunter” is a chilling opus and the true gem of this Film Series calendar. Do not miss this one!

I’M NOT THERE
USA, Dir. Todd Haynes, 2007.
WEDNESDAY, April 16th, 7:30 p.m.
$4

You love Bob Dylan, admit it. You have explored his lyricism and poetic mastery in all of its profound glory. You have had epiphanies to “Mr. Tambourine Man,” hooked up to “Lay Lady Lay,” and know every last word of “Subterranean Homesick Blues,” right? Now, come witness a powerful interpretation of the Dylan myth: six contrasting characters, six poignant representations of the twentieth century master of popular music. More than a biopic, Haynes has created a rumination on the concepts of folk music, stardom, the creative process. All the great songs are here, sung by both Dylan and contemporaries including Yo La Tengo, Jeff Tweedy, Willie Nelson, Cat Power, and Mason Jennings. And then there is Cate Blanchett in the performance of a lifetime. I know you missed this one in the multiplex, so put on your coolest Dylan shades and come see the best picture about music in years.

GLORY AT SEA (and other shorts) (SCHEDULE CHANGE; WILL REPLACE NETWORK)
USA, Dir. Ben Zeitland, 2007.
THURSDAY, April 17th, 7:30 p.m.
Free

This is a film that was written, directed, and produced by recent Wesleyan alumni, Ben Zeitland. I haven’t seen it yet. Usually that might make me reticent to express such enthusiam but I am actually so psyched. We will also be showing two other short films that Zeitland has made. “Glory at Sea,” which has been called “impossibly ambitious and life-affirming,” as well as “Herzogian”, was very highly acclaimed at this year’s SXSW Film Festival, winning a prize for best short film. The film is based roughly on the Orpheus myth, and apparently involves a whole group of people in a tiny boat at sea. I pretty sure that the Herzog connection comes from the fact that they actually were at sea on a tiny boat for the filming. Yay for “Fitzcarraldo”! Another point of interest: the film is set in the aftermath of a large storm and was shot in New Orleans shortly after the Katrina disaster. At the moment, this film is virtually impossible to see, unless you are buddies with Ben. But luckily, WE ARE! Which means that Zeitland and producer Dan Janvey are COMING HERE to do a Q& A at the film. This is a chance to talk to two very fine and talented people who are actually living the dream. Also, I hate to pull this card, but I’m going to: Zeitland was in a serious car accident recently, en route to SXSW, and fractured his hip. And he’s coming to see us, despite also recovering from his very serious accident. The least you can do is come support your fellow Wes film geeks.