Wesleyan had a fantastic showing at the NESCAC Championships in Middlebury this past weekend, coming in sixth out of the 11 competing teams and setting two team records in the process. The Cardinals placed nine individuals in top eight finishes, and exceeded its own lofty expectations.

The relay team of Jeff Stein ’08, Dan Storms ’10, Chris Becker ’09, and Mike Pepi ’08 set team records in both the 200 and 400 free, as well as breaking the Middlebury pool record in the 200.

“With undoubtedly one of the smallest teams at the championship, we managed to improve our standing from last year, and ended up only thirty or forty points behind Conn. College, a team that we previously thought was unbeatable,” said Stein who is a co-captain. “With only 13 guys, we all felt the David and Goliath imagery, and when we took down the best 200 free relay that Williams could put together, we hit the giant between the eyes.”

Despite a small team, the Cards managed to compete with the powerhouses through outstanding individual efforts. The stars that have performed all season brought their best to the climactic final meet. Dave Wilkinson ’09 placed the highest out of any Cardinal, with a third place finish in the one-meter dive and sixth in the three-meter. J.P. Valette ’10 added to the diving team’s strong showing with an eighth place finish in the three-meter.

“The meet was the most exciting one of the year, and certainly the most successful, with nearly everyone turning out personal records in every performance,” Stein said.

Phenom Michael Bailey ’11 placed seventh in three events, the 200 and 400 IM and the 200 breast stroke. Co-captain Pepi raced to sixth in the 50 free, and Dana Drost ’11 and Storms each grabbed eighth in the 200 IM and free, respectively.

Stein reflected on the future of Wesleyan swimming.

“With only two seniors graduating, the team will maintain the strength and energy it already has, and given the nine recruits already committed to early decision, Wesleyan swimming is on its way to becoming a top contender for the conference championship,” he said. “While I am sorry to leave Wesleyan behind, in this meet the guys proved that the team is in good hands. The moral of the story is that this year we were few but mighty. Next year, we will be many, and epic.”