The debate over a controversial policy that intends to limit large parties in woodframe houses will continue this Thursday, when Wesleyan Student Assembly (WSA) representative Michael Pernick ’10 and Student Activities and Leadership Development Director Tim Shiner meet at a Student Affairs Committee (SAC) meeting.

Last semester, Shiner proposed lowering the party
registration threshold from 50 guests to 25 guests. The revised Social Event Registration Policy would target woodframe houses in which alcohol is served, and aims to increase the host’s liability if underage drinkers are found in attendance.

“There are some concerns with current policy that we need to address,” Shiner said. “Some of our concerns included alcohol being served to minors on campus, the liability students take on by hosting parties, and Public Safety’s awareness of what’s going on.”

The Student Life Committee (SLC) approved the changes last spring, but the WSA opposed the measure and managed to delay its scheduled implementation this fall.

Pernick, chair of the SAC, has publicly expressed his concerns with the proposed changes.

“My number one concern is the liability issue,” Pernick said. “The only change I would definitely support would include a process to educate students on liability. I think liability education should be a part of the community standards workshop that seniors living in woodframes have to attend.”

Pernick said that he would not support any other changes to the policy.

Earlier this year, President of the WSA Matt Ball ’08 echoed Pernick’s analysis.

“We are looking at ways we can educate students and not just get them in trouble for the number of students at their house,” he told the Argus. “We would just like some way of informing the students of liability.”

Shiner sees the policy as part of a larger effort to give Public Safety more information about where parties are happening.

“It changes how [Public Safety] know[s] who has planned, who has had a well-run event,” Shiner said.

When asked his feelings about parties that don’t serve alcohol, Shiner showed awareness of the common practice of “pre-gaming.”

“We know that even if alcohol isn’t being served, that many students will still be intoxicated,” Shiner said.

Despite tension over the issue, which was vocalized at Sunday’s WSA meeting, Pernick expressed willingness to work with Shiner.

“I’m not going to criticize Tim. He’s done a good job,” Pernick said. “He’s talked about a student issue that just isn’t necessary.”

Pernick also suggested creating an online system for students to register parties.

“I don’t want to inconvenience students,” he said. “I don’t want them forced to fill out needless forms.”

Both Shiner and Pernick agreed that any decision made by the committee would have to receive support from both students and administrators. Ultimately, however, Pernick thinks that the input of students is crucial.

“I think the number one priority is to work with the administration to find a pro-student solution to the issues that have been raised,” Pernick said.