LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
UK, Dir: David Lean, 1962
Wednesday, Sept. 5, 7:30 p.m. $4

The expanse of Lawrence of Arabia is astounding. Not only was it shot (and presented here) in the large format 70mm, but it is also directly concerned with anything vast and daunting. The endless desert, the foolish sprawl of the British Empire, and the cavernous nether regions of the human soul, are all expertly explored in this truly epic film. Peter O’Toole and Omar Sharif both owe their careers to this film, and its success proves David Lean as the premiere 70mm director. In light of the digital tinge of sophomoric “epics” like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, it is sadly evident that they don’t make them like they used to, and they never will again.

HOLY MOUNTAIN.
Dir: Alejandro Jodorowsky.
Thursday, Sept. 6, 7:30 p.m. FREE.

You must see Jodorowsky’s fantastic, if gloriously dated, dystopian epic. Wander through a futuristic Mexican landscape filled with Jesus look-alikes, amputees, and hilariously campy representatives from each planet in the solar system. This is probably one of the druggiest art films I can think of that doesn’t actually feature drug use. As one Allmovie writer put it, Holy Mountain is “what might have resulted if Luis Buñuel, Michelangelo Antonioni, and George Romero had all dropped acid and made a movie together.”

STOP MAKING SENSE
USA Dir: Jonathan Demme 1985
Friday, Sept. 7, 7:30 p.m. $4

In 1984 the most culturally analytical band in history, The Talking Heads, paired with Jonathan Demme to make the most pretentious concert film ever. In a major affront to logic, it is one of the most entertaining rock and roll films ever made. Two years ago when Jonathan Demme spoke at The Center for Film Studies, he said of Stop Making Sense, “So here’s David Byrne, the hippest guy in the world, saying to me, ‘Jonathan, how are we going to make this film different than every other concert film?’” I forget the rest of the quote, but it was fantastic.

ADAM’S RIB
USA, Dir: George Cukor 1949
Saturday, Sept. 8, 7:30 p.m. FREE

Cleverly titled, classically executed, and timelessly entertaining, Adam’s Rib is a staple of the institutionalized on-screen chemistry between Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. The sparring power struggle between husbands and wives is an archetypal treasure trove, tapped by Hollywood as recently as Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but the greatest achievements are the legendary films of Hepburn and Tracy. Hepburn is one of the most important actresses for the woman’s movement in America, and this film is important because it shows Hepburn as a highly capable woman with a very powerful career. Chances are you haven’t seen this film, but your grandparents loved it, and chances are your grandparents are cooler than you.

Look for a longer film series column in the next issue, and check back to learn more about special events, trailer contests, and a week of selections curated by Wesleyan’s new president, Michael Roth!