Throughout the 2006-2007 wrestling season, Dan Bloom ’10 has ruled the mat. Immediately taking over the 125-pound weight class where he is currently ranked third in New England, Bloom has compiled a 22-9 overall record, going 14-5 in his weight class and 8-4 in tournament competitions.

Honing a tenacity that is an absolute necessity to compete in the NCAA wrestling’s lightest weight class, Bloom burst onto the scene as a freshman phenom and has become a walking headline, consistently winning big decisions in dominant fashion.

It’s not every day that a freshman assumes a major contributing role on college teams. The majority of college athletes take a year, or even two, to develop and adjust to collegiate competition. The learning curve is typically steep, even in Division III; wrestling in particular requires a fitness and focus not often seen in high school. Bloom, however, is that rarity – a rookie athlete flashing signs of greatness and adjusting to collegiate competition on the fly.

“It definitely took some time making the transition from high school to college,” Bloom said. “It’s a shocker coming from a program where you are the top dog to being a freshman again; it definitely shocks your confidence. But the level of wrestling is so much greater in college. Everyone wrestling is experienced and tough. There are no pushovers at this level like there were in high school. I really like that about college wrestling because the environment is so much more intense. Everyone wants to be on the mat and wants to wrestle hard.”

Bloom displayed a variety of complex moves combined with fierce quickness early in the season and his college-ready skills have shined since the beginning of November.

“My favorite moves are the low single, the throw-by, and the crab-ride,” Bloom said, describing moves that utilize low center of gravity and speed to take down and pin opponents.

Along with a strong arsenal of practiced moves, Bloom also relies on intense self-motivation and natural athleticism to drive him to new heights of individual success.

“[In each match] I motivate myself,” he said. “There is no better feeling in sports than winning a wrestling match. I’ve played soccer, basketball, baseball, ping-pong, and every other sport, and nothing compares to the feeling of winning a wrestling match.”

And win he has. During his first match for the Cards, at the Doug Parker Invitational in November, Bloom impressed by turning in a 4-2 record, good for fourth-place at 125 pounds in a tournament of 17 schools.

Further into this season, Bloom continued his successes: flattening a Trinity opponent 3-0 in a Jan. 10 dual-match in Hartford, winning three of four matches in placing third at the Brute-Adidas Tournament on Jan. 13 at Ursinus College, and pinning his Springfield College opponent on Jan. 17.

A clutch wrestler with the ability to perform under pressure, Bloom posted an impressive 3-1 overall record at the NECCWA Duals on Jan. 21 at Bridgewater State University – easily the most important and highly pressurized event thus far for the Cards.

Bloom’s performance shot him into the New England rankings and helped cap a “Cinderella story” of a season for the rookie.

“I think that this was a great season,” he said. “We have a great group of guys in the room that are really talented and are helping me reach my potential. I am very excited about the upcoming seasons. We have a really strong freshman class, and I can see the team getting better each year. But right now I’m more focused on the end of this season.”

The end of the season meant the NECCWA Championships, in which wrestlers vie for the right to wrestle at NCAAs, held this past weekend at Roger Williams College.

Bloom’s focus paid off, as he went 4-2 over the two-day event, recording two pins against opponents from Southern Maine and Springfield. Bloom ends the season ranked second in New England at 125 pounds and will certainly be a bright spot for the Cards in seasons to come.