Sunday, 10 wrestlers traveled to Springfield College to compete in the NECCWA Junior Varsity Championships. For many of these select 10, Sunday marked the first time any of them had competed on the collegiate level.

Although no team scoring is awarded for this event, which is officially listed as a “sub-varsity” tournament, several wrestlers had impressive days individually and proved that the future of Wesleyan wrestling looks formidable.

Dave Bachy ’10 went undefeated in three matches and placed first in the 149-pound weight class. Later in the day, Cam Maloni ’09 and Chris Mixon ’09 held down the heavier weight classes as Maloni went 2-0 for a first place finish at 184 pounds and Mixon went 2-1 for a second place finish at 174 pounds.

In the lightest weights, a pair of rookies almost ran the table as Seth Rosen ’10 and Brendan Cleary ’10 went a combined 6-2 and both placed third at 125 and 141 pounds, respectively.

The junior varsity championship affords wrestlers who have worked hard all season the opportunity to compete and carve out a spot for themselves on the team. If Sunday’s performances were any indication, it looks as if several of Wesleyan’s younger wrestlers will be racking up pins in the near future.