The University’s Project to Increase Mastery of Mathematics and Sciences (PIMMS) has cemented a partnership with the Connecticut Science Center. Together, the two institutions hope to improve the already functioning Institute for Inquiry, a program designed to guide Connecticut educators towards progressive methods of teaching math and science.

“Wesleyan recognizes that the ability of the State of Connecticut to compete for jobs is dependent on our ability to have a well educated population,” said Mike Zebarth, director of PIMMS. “An important part of that education is scientific, mathematic and technical literacy.”

Every summer, hundreds of middle school teachers apply for one of the six weeklong programs at the institute. This past summer, 150 teachers enrolled and were taught how to teach science, math, engineering, and technology.

Over the course of each week, the teachers chose a focus and investigate different ways to communicate to students. The new partnership adds a critical point of development to the program, as the Graduate Liberal Studies Program (GLSP) has agreed to give teachers graduate credit for participating.

The opportunity for a degree could be a valuable incentive for teachers who might not have looked into the program otherwise.

“Teachers are required to obtain a Master’s degree within five years of beginning their careers,” Zebarth said. “Wesleyan’s MALS degree can fulfill that requirement.”

Advocates believe the partnership benefits the University as well.

“It will help promote Wesleyan’s image as one of the premier liberal arts schools in mathematics and the sciences,” Zebarth said.

Joe Bruno, vice president for academic affairs, provost, and professor of chemistry, agrees.

“Coming at a time when we are actively promoting the excellence of Wesleyan science, we view the partnership as an opportunity to contribute to this exciting project and to inform others about our science programs,” Bruno said.

Science faculty members will help write the curricula for the institute as a move towards the fulfillment of the University’s goal to become more involved in Connecticut education.

“The contributions of our faculty and students at the center will also be entirely consistent with Wesleyan’s strong commitment to service in the community,” Bruno said.

In 1979, Professor of Mathematics Robert Rosenbaum created the Project to Increase Mastery of Mathematics (PIMM) over his concerns about the declining quality of math education in Connecticut.

Periodically, Rosenbaum, other concerned University faculty, and assorted Connecticut educators would meet and discuss the issue at hand. By 1983, the worries spread to problems in science education. And so PIMM became PIMMS.

Every summer, apart from the institute’s seminars, PIMMS holds fellowship programs intended to improve public education by training mathematics and science school teachers through professional development programs.

“Annually, more than 1,500 teachers participate in PIMMS programs and another 12,000 to 15,000 are involved in other outreach activities led by PIMMS Fellows and other alumni,” according to the PIMMS website. “As a result, over 150,000 CT students per year directly benefit from improved mathematics and science instruction.”

Together, these two institutions will advocate a more hands-on approach to learning.

“This mutually beneficial partnership will teach teachers how to take their students through the inquiry process,” said Christine Moses, director of Program Outreach for the Science Center. “When you engage students first in the sciences, instead of lecturing, they retain the information better.”