Thornton Wilder, oh how I have misjudged you! Apparently “Our Town” is not a worthy representation of your abilities. “The Bridge of San Luis Rey,” a senior thesis written and adapted from Wilder’s novel of the same name by Rebecca Josue ’06 was performed last weekend in the ’92 Theater. The fact that Josue’s thesis managed to change my perspective on Wilder says quite a bit about the quality of her production.

I nearly gasped at the sight of the set as I entered the theater. Designed by Michael Kens ’06 and executed by Nick Weiss-Richmond ’08 and the Basic Production Techniques class, the set consisted of an extraordinary realistic representation of a dilapidated wooden bridge, stretching from one side of the theater to the other, and latched together with rope. The set allowed for different “levels” for each scene, and provided a distinct visual image for the destruction of the bridge at the beginning and end of the piece.

Adapting a script from a novel must be a difficult task. When constructing characters in a novel the author approaches each person from several different perspectives, using dialogue, interior monologue, editorialization, description, etc. In a play the writer must rely on dialogue and stage direction to create character. Josue, however, transformed Wilder’s novel into a mesmerizing play, managing to bring three-dimensional, quite-believable characters from the page into the medium of theater.

Josue’s script gave rise to several outstanding performances by a talented ensemble of actors. The most striking performance, or rather performances, of the night belonged to Eric Wdowiak ’06, portraying the twins Manuel and Esteban. Remarkably, Wdowiak managed to play each twin particularly, working through blocking, body language, voice, and facial expression to give each twin a distinct and individual personality. Wdowiak could have easily played Manuel and Esteban as caricatures or very precise opposites, but the audience could see a bit of each brother in the other, a choice that proved very realistic and symbolized the twins’ dependence on each other.

Molly Gaebe ’07 contributed another notable performance as Dona Maria, the Marquesa de Montemayor. Gaebe’s speech and mannerisms throughout her performance created a distinctly emotional character, moving the audience through her teary and hysterical speeches about her estranged daughter. Similar to Wdowiak, Gaebe could have easily relied on stereotypes in her portrayal of an “old countess,” but she developed her role so completely the audience sincerely believed in and sympathized with her character’s troubled existence. Gaebe’s scenes including Pepita, Dona Maria’s maid, played by Elissa Kozlov ’08, especially furthered her character development, as Kozlov skillfully and articulately played her supporting role, showing Dona Maria’s dependence and the nature of her depression.

Josue’s blocking especially proved her adeptness as a director, particularly in a sexually tense scene between Manuel and Dona Micaela Villegas, played by Marina Kastan ’08. The only problem in terms of the blocking seemed to be the set up of the audience. While I loved the set, and understood the decision to position the audience on either side of the bridge, the positioning proved a problem in terms of hearing and understanding certain actors when scenes occurred on the opposite side of where I sat.

Despite these issues, Rebecca Josue wrote, directed, and executed a remarkable senior thesis with a talented cast. Josue’s adaptation of Wilder’s novel also proved to be a memorable script, allowing for very developed and realistic characters and providing me with a newfound appreciation for the works of Thornton Wilder.

THE BRIDGE OF SAN LUIS REY with Megan Diamondstein ’06; Alex Fishman ’07; Molly Gaebe ’07; Marina Kastan ’08; Elissa Kozlov ’08; and Eric Wdowiak ’06.

Directed by Rebecca Josue ’06; Stage Manager Aisha Soliman; Set Designer Michael Kerne ’06; Master Carpenter Nick Weiss-Richmond ’08; Lighting Designers and Master Electricians Franny Geiger ’07 and David Haan ’06; Costume Designer Jess Lane ’06; Costume Assistants Randa Tawill ’09 and Megan Diamondstein ’06; Props Designer Ari Brand ’06; Props Assistant Jason Bailey; Light Board Operator Rikki Goldenberg ’09; Liz Weisman ’09; Assistant Stage Manager Ari Brand ’06; Publicity Eric Wdowiak ’06; Poster Design Molly Malinowski; Videography Madeline Shapiro ’06.