Things are still fairly quiet on the club sports front. I’d like to have been able to give a profile on women’s club hockey today but haven’t heard back from them. I’m saving the Wes Rugby intro for when their season is about to get underway, so definitely look for that in the next few weeks.

As far as what I can report on, club hockey had to cancel its game this weekend due to a lack of players that were going to show up for the game. This occurrence shows the not-so-bright side of club sports. If guys aren’t that committed to playing then fielding a squad for a road game on a Saturday night is hard to achieve. Luckily we do have a home game coming up this Wednesday night at 7 p.m. in Freeman Athletic Center, for which I’m sure we’ll have a glut of players. So hopefully you’ll all want to come and check out a bit of weekday hockey. Also, looking further down the road, we have a home game against Yale on Feb. 24, which should be a lot of fun.

Lastly, I’d like to give club volleyball a proper introduction. WesTech club volleyball is currently in the midst of its season and going strong. The team will be playing some sort of match every weekend up till spring break. Currently there are plans for a home tournament the weekend of Mar. 4, which I will keep you updated on.

Josh Atwood ’08 painted a vivid picture of WesTech club volleyball. “I would compare our team to a large lion in the Sahara,” he said. “It’s sitting there under a tree in the shade. It’s got a mane [Atwood makes large hand gesture] out to here. It’s so big. It’s so hot. So one day, the cubs come over and start messing with the lion, nipping its ears and stepping on its tail, but the lion does nothing. Then the lady lion comes over and gives it shit, but still the lion does nothing. Then the jackals and the hyenas come over and start giving it trouble, eating food in its domain, and still the lion does nothing. And gradually the vultures get bolder and bolder and come closer and closer, nipping at its tail and toes. And then one day the lion gets up and tears the shit out of all of them. Cuz every now and then you gotta show the jackals who the lion is. That’s what I would say about WesTech club volleyball”.

Sorry if that quote was a little too long-winded for your tastes, but it was so rich that I just didn’t have the heart to cut a single word. The best of what club sports has to offer, a little bit of humor, and a whole lot of simile. Thanks again for walking the club beat.