Despite the start of classes, nearly twenty Wesleyan students traveled to Washington, D.C. Thursday to protest the Presidential inauguration.

“I actually got dropped from one of my classes for going,” said Brendan O’Connell ’08.

O’Connell arrived at the protests at 11 a.m. and participated in a mock funeral march with Code Pink, an organization founded by women seeking peace and social justice.

“My group carried a coffin draped in an American flag to represent our country’s loss of civil rights during the war on terror,” O’Connell said. “Other people carried coffins representing the democratic process, civil liberties, etc. There were probably 500 to 1,000 people in this march.”

Nick Russell ’08 traveled with O’Connell during the day. Although they were unable to observe the actual parade route, they waited one block away and could periodically see the passing motorcade. Security was extremely tight, as students noticed snipers positioned on top of nearby buildings.

“I went to protest because I felt there should be a voice of opposition at the beginning of Bush’s second term,” Russell said. “He shouldn’t be able to enter office without a visible sign of dissent. Americans have been given such a bad name overseas by his policies.”

O’Connell echoed Russell’s sentiment.

“I personally went to express my profound anger at this administration,” O’Connell said. “I don’t really think demonstrations will change the minds of those in power, but they were covered extensively in very mainstream media outlets, so people across the United States can see constant visible resistance to Bush wherever he goes.”

Kristy Mercado ’05 said participating in the demonstrations is a good way to get media attention.

“If this inauguration happened without a visible protest, it would be discouraging to others who condemn the Bush agenda, as well as encouraging to the Bush administration to keep doing what they have been for the last four years,” she said.

For Mercado, large protests are not the only way to effect change.
“I view it as supplemental to organizing done in communities I am involved in,” she said.

With a different group of students, Sarah Meier-Zimbler ’08 protested as part of The ANSWER (Act Now to Stop War and End Racism) Coalition.

“The [security] checkpoints took a long time, and there was a bit of confusion,” Meier-Zimbler said. “I thought that was the only time that the authorities were terrible. Overall, the police were reasonable, but it did take us two-and-a-half hours to walk eight blocks.”

She stood along the inaugural parade route for several hours in order to voice her concerns to the administration.

“I went to protest because I thought it was important,” she said. “I am scared about the next four years. Having a presence makes you feel like you are doing something.”

B Lake ’06 also attended the anti-Bush demonstrations as a representative of WOMAN (Wesleyan Organized Medical Action Network). Ze worked with medics from other collectives.

“I spent all my time either in the medic center or in the van, helping pick people up to bring them back for treatment at the medic center,” Lake said. “There were also a few dozen medic teams in the streets, covering various demonstrations. In order for mass demonstrations to stay viable, they need a network of support.”

According to Lake, protesting has a tremendous effect.

“It’s easy to dismiss protests as ineffectual until you think what things would look like without them,” ze said. “What would it feel like if nobody had been out except to cheer Bush on? Demonstrations let people know they’re not alone, and let those in power know theirs isn’t the only side paying attention.”