The Big Three is a long-time rivalry with a rich tradition between three of the premier universities in the Ivy League. Wesleyan is not in the Ivy League.

Wesleyan is, however, a member of the NESCAC (New England Small College Athletic Conference) and part of another great three-way rivalry. The schools are smaller, hence the name the Little Three.

The other two schools making up the Little Three have two things in common. Both are located in Massachusetts. Both have purple uniforms.

These two schools are Williams and Amherst.

The rivalry dates back to the nineteenth century, when the Little Three officially came into existence around 100 years ago.

Each year the three schools play for the Little Three title. The format that determines the winner is fairly simple. Each sport essentially is worth one point, and whichever of the three teams has the best record against the other two school gets the point. For a sport to count, all three of the schools must field a varsity team. A total of 26 sports are used to determine the winner.

The Ephs of Williams are traditionally very strong in sports. In fact, “Sports Illustrated” has rated Williams the top Division III school for sports in the country. Since the mid-80s Williams has dominated the Little Three competition, and that may be an understatement.

The Lord Jeffs of Amherst are also very strong in most sports, though not nearly of the well-rounded caliber of the Ephs.

As Williams’ website astutely points out, “Since 1985-86 Williams has had great success in Little Three competitions, winning the most Little Three titles each year and frequently winning more in one year than Amherst and Wesleyan combined!”

So hopefully this year the tide will begin to turn in the Cardinals’ direction. In the fall, many Amherst teams will come to compete against University squads during homecoming weekend, on Saturday, Oct. 23. As for Williams, many fall sports teams head to Williamstown to open their seasons early in September.

Amherst and Williams must also play against one another to round out the Little Three competition. This of course continues throughout the year as the winter and spring sports teams take their shots at their purple enemies.

Competitions against Williams and Amherst generally draw maximum support from the Wesleyan fan base. As a sign of respect to the opponents, many fans don purple shirts with phrases explaining certain feelings concerning the other schools. When the Ephs or Lord Jeffs are in town, especially Amherst for homecoming this October, fantastic opportunities arise for the students to show pride and support.