There’s something about a lovely liberal arts college up on a hill that arouses political awareness without stimulating political participation. It’s like there’s an invisible barrier that keeps students from activating their political ideals through advocacy or political work in the public sphere. I like to call this the ‘snow globe effect.’ As an alum who taught middle school for a year before returning to Wes for a fellowship, I’m not immune to it. This isn’t another article shaming college students for their activism or lack thereof (the Op Ed section of every major newspaper has that topic covered. I mean can you believe the kids these days?!). Instead, this is a call to action by a recent alum who wishes they did more with the resources Wesleyan had to offer before graduation shattered the snow globe anyway.

Breaking News: there are a bunch of very important elections happening in November. But, unlike the last few national elections, there isn’t a Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren to excite student voters. And still, Wesleyan has resources and students have ideas, energy, and a genuine desire to make our world a little better. Political Engagement this season doesn’t just mean working for Trump or Biden; it can mean advocacy work, local campaign work, voter registration work, or whatever wacky idea you think could have an impact. And here’s the most best part: Wesleyan will fund that work. So from one Wes kid to however many others read this: here is my listicle about why I think you should apply for a grant and participate in the political process this summer.

5 Reasons Why You Should Do Political Engagement Work this Summer:

1. Wesleyan will fund your campaign, advocacy, or political engagement work. It’s called the Political Engagement Fund. The Jewett Center for Community Partnerships is taking applications until May 13th, and funding is not competitive. The fund will cover costs associated with engagement in voter registration efforts, initiatives combating voter suppression, and issues advocacy work. This can include living costs, transportation, and supplies. In other words, Wesleyan will pay up to $5,000 to support your political engagement, whether it be campaign work in a battleground state or volunteer work for reproductive rights or expanding access to the ballot. You can make it a big portion of your summer or you can do voter registration alongside your summer gig. All you need is an idea and a proposed budget before the May 13 deadline.

2. Political Engagement isn’t just for Gov Kids. Take it from an ex-gov major: political engagement is not just for future politicians or life-long activists. Nearly every job application I’ve filled out asks about my work with marginalized populations, mission driven organizations, and advocacy-related causes. Receiving a grant for political participation functions as solid evidence of your capacity to do culturally relevant work. More importantly, campaign work is fun. I worked on a couple local elections in Arizona before coming to Wes and since have volunteered with planned parenthood. And if campaign work isn’t your thing, maybe advocacy work will be, or voter registration efforts, or an art project aimed at increasing access to the ballot.

3. Local elections matter… a lot. Let me reiterate: it’s not just Trump and Biden. There are 86 state legislative chambers in 44 states that are up for election in November. There are 11 gubernational elections and 80 statewide ballot measures being decided by voters on November 5. You can use a Political Engagement Grant to fund your travel to a battleground state like Arizona, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, or Michigan. Reproductive rights are in the hands of these states, as well as healthcare, access to the ballot, social services, and climate efforts. There are candidates and organizations aligned to the issues you care about; you just have to find them (and the Jewett Center can help you do that).

4. Wesleyan doesn’t have an active student group focused on voter registration. I would love to see someone use a Political Engagement Grant to organize a widespread voter registration campaign on campus and in the Middletown Community.

5. Participation in civic life is the only way democracy can work. Democracy is not just something we engage with once a year when casting a ballot. We have to participate in democratic life every day. Instagram activism is a start, sure, but it has to be followed by active demonstration, volunteering, and being in community with one another. As Wesleyan students, it’s imperative that we learn how to be in community with folks who don’t have the privilege of hiding in the Wesleyan snow globe. Democratic participation isn’t a noble thing, it’s a responsibility. It’s the bare minimum. Wesleyan’s Political Engagement Fund is offering you the chisel. Go break the glass.

Anya Kisicki is a member of the class of 2022 and can be reached at anyakisicki@gmail.com