c/o Honor O'Donnell

c/o Honor O’Donnell

I am a proud breakfast enthusiast and snob. Whether I make it the night before or the morning of, enjoying my breakfast with a cup of coffee is a routine I try to maintain even when I’m the busiest. My days of running half asleep to Pi Café for a banana or bagel are a distant memory now that I live in a program house with a full kitchen. To those who insist that they either are never hungry in the morning, don’t wake up early enough, or are simply too busy to eat breakfast every morning, I have one thing to say: you just haven’t mastered the art of it. Luckily, I have three recipes that will change your mind. Most can be made ahead, and some can even be made with borrowed ingredients from Usdan. Leave the days of sitting through your 8:50 with a grumbling stomach in the past forever.

Chia Seed Pudding

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 2 tablespooons chia seeds
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Sweetener of choice (I typically use honey)
  • Optional: 1 scoop of protein powder (I use Orgain vanilla or RYSE cinnamon toast)
  • Optional: toppings, e.g. berries, nuts, shredded coconut, nut butter, granola

Instructions

1. Add yogurt, almond milk, chia seeds, and cinnamon to a mason jar, mug, solo cup (tried and true), or literally any other container you have on hand. Mix until combined. 
  2. Add protein powder if using. 
  3. Cover and refrigerate overnight. 
  4. Add toppings and sweetener before eating. 

Note: Adding frozen berries before letting the pudding sit overnight will allow the berries to melt, resulting in a delicious jammy topping!

Protein-Rich Overnight Oats

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup rolled oats (instant works too, but will be mushier)
  • 1-2 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1/3 cup Greek yogurt or cottage cheese
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 banana, microwave if frozen
  • Berries, nut butter, and sweetener for topping
  • Optional: 1 scoop protein powder, powdered peanut butter, or cacao powder for flavoring

Instructions

1. Add oats, chia seeds, milk, Greek yogurt, and cinnamon to a container. Mix until well combined. 
  2. Mash in the banana with a fork. 
  3. Add in protein powder or other flavorings if using and mix. 
  4. Cover and refrigerate overnight. 
  5. Add toppings and sweetener before eating. 

Microwave Sweet Potato

This one might be a little controversial, but it’s my current breakfast obsession for its ease, efficiency, and versatility. I usually enjoy my sweet potatoes with savory toppings like fried eggs, guacamole, and hot sauce, or I go for a sweeter taste and include yogurt, fruit, and drizzled honey. 

Ingredient

• 1 sweet potato 
  • Toppings of choice (yogurt, eggs, nut butter, honey, guacamole etc.)

Instructions

1. Poke 3–4 holes throughout the potato with a fork. 
  2. Microwave for 5–6 minutes, turning it over at the halfway mark. Check to see if it’s fork tender – if a fork or knife doesn’t slide in easily, continue microwaving in 30-second intervals until it does. 
  3. Cut open and enjoy with toppings. 

Honor O’Donnell can be reached at heodonnell@wesleyan.edu