Garlic may be my favorite ingredient. There is truly no ingredient I use more and no ingredient I appreciate more. There are few dishes that garlic cannot elevate and transform. Here are my five favorite forms of garlic and how I incorporate them into my meals. 

#1: Jarred Minced Garlic

As a busy college student, jarred minced garlic from Weshop is my fridge superhero. Usually less than $5, the pre-minced, vinegar-based staple is such a convenient way to add garlic to all my favorite savory dishes. Though the flavor is much less pungent than fresh garlic, it acts as an incredible substitute for those who do not want to spend their time finely chopping the fresh kind. 

The vinegar base gives it a much softer consistency than chopped garlic, and as such it’s easily spreadable. You can toss a generous spoonful of jarred minced garlic (more than you think you need!) onto any dish you prepare on a pan over the stovetop for a wonderful, easy flavor addition. Some of the best uses of jarred garlic are: 

• In any pan-fried chicken dish
  • In scrambled eggs
  • Sautéed with leftover vegetables (think onion, mushrooms, spinach, etc.) and put into a grain bowl or tomato sauce base
  • A spoonful as a topping on reheated pizza

#2: Chili Garlic Crunch 

This is by far my favorite spicy addition to any meal. Crunchy dried onion and dried garlic bathe in a chili-infused olive oil in this jar of spicy goodness, and it’s available at Trader Joe’s for only $5. There are also many more gourmet options available at your local grocery store, including the Momofuku Chili Crunch ($10.39). Non-Trader Joe’s options tend to be pricier and spicier, so choose with discretion. Some of the best uses of chili garlic crunch are: 

• In avocado toast
  • Atop fried eggs
  • Sprinkled amidst fried rice
  • On top of any roasted veggie
  • Even with a cold bowl of vanilla ice cream

#3: Microplaned Fresh Garlic

Though this type of garlic requires significantly more prep and equipment (a microplane) than my other favorites, its flavor is unparalleled. To quote my friend Ava, “There is rarely a place where fresh garlic shouldn’t be.” I agree with this wholeheartedly. Microplaned garlic does require peeling garlic cloves and then microplaning them, but the prep is very worthwhile for the immense flavor payoff. To make peeling garlic cloves even easier, use the side of your knife to press down, crushing the garlic and releasing the shell. Microplaned garlic can be used in the same ways as minced garlic, such as sautéeing or as a soup starter. Because of its paste like consistency, some of the best uses of microplaned fresh garlic are: 

• In a quick aioli
  • In a pesto sauce
  • In a fresh, punchy salad dressing

(Aside from being garlic’s best friend, a microplane is very useful for zesting citrus as well.)

#4: The Classic Fresh Chopped Garlic

If I had endless time to cook, I would be crushing and dicing my garlic every single time I used this wonderful allium. Crushing the garlic with the side of your knife not only increases the ease of peeling the clove, but also helps release the flavor. I find that finely chopping garlic can also be a therapeutic task and I love the aroma of garlic clinging to every surface of my kitchen. Fresh minced garlic has an incredibly strong flavor and is an unparalleled edition to every dish. Some of the best uses of classic fresh chopped garlic are: 

• In a tomato sauce
  • In a curry
  • In a marinade

#5: Garlic Powder

Though this is my least favorite form of garlic, garlic powder still holds a special place in my heart and my pantry. Garlic powder is the easiest way to add garlic to a dish and does its job well. It’s not the most exciting or flavorful form of garlic, but is a pantry staple nonetheless. One of the best uses of garlic powder is in a BBQ chicken spice rub like this one: 

1. Combine a few spoonfuls of brown sugar with generous sprinkles of garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, onion powder, and salt/pepper
  2. Put your chicken in the fridge anywhere between 30 minutes to a few hours to let the rub really sink in
  3. Add to a hot pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side

Though garlic powder is not the star of this rub, it adds great flavoring and provides a lovely addition to the spicy chicken

If you love garlic as much as I do, feel free to submit your favorite garlicky recipes to The Argus or Food for Thought (@wesfoodforthought on Instagram) to be featured!

Issie Kapner can be reached at ikapner@wesleyan.edu.