I am an openly gay student on campus. Wesleyan was the first non-religious institution I have ever attended in my life. Growing up, I went to a catholic elementary school and an all-boys catholic high school. I came to Wes because of its environment that was branded as somewhere where people were unique and open and accepting. I couldn’t wait to attend a non-catholic school for the first time. I thought I would be better off here as a queer student. I was wrong. While yes, most of the community fits the description that was told by admissions, I was shocked when in my first semester here, I experienced homophobia for the first time in my life.

I started to notice another student who lived on my floor around me more often, and I noticed he tried to talk to me a few times. In one of the conversations we had, he asked me flat out if I was gay. I responded truthfully. A few weeks later, I was walking back from the bathroom and was stopped in the hallway by him. He began talking about his and his friends’ usage of the f slur and repeatedly tried to convince me that it’s fine to say in a joking way. I eventually agreed because I saw no other way to escape that interaction. A few days later I saw him again and immediately looked and moved away. As I moved further, he moved closer and ignored my clear uncomfortableness with the situation. The next day, he approached me again while I was working. I looked away and tried to pretend I didn’t hear him. He kept repeatedly knocking and trying to get my attention. I also received repeat requests from him on social media. He doesn’t know the impact this had on me. It brought back all the shame I felt and had recovered from. I made CAPS crisis appointments because of the anxiety I felt that was caused by this situation. Eventually, I reached out and expressed how I felt, and he apologized, and the conflict came to an end.

I want to emphasize that I share this story not because I am angry at the person who did this to me, nor am I looking for pity. I share this story because I need people to know that this place isn’t perfect. I’m lucky that my situation came to a safe resolution, because I know that many similar situations do not, and after learning of the allegations against John Frank and how Roth not only protected him but named a building after him, I wonder if the school would have supported me had this situation ended differently. How can we expect our school to protect students who are victims of discrimination, assault, and misconduct when our so-called leaders continue to get away with it and continue to be honored in spite of it. Wesleyan has a long history of students bringing about change. I want to add to that history because what is happening at this school at the hand of the board is unacceptable. We can only make change when we stand together as a community. Please make your voices heard and demand better from our administration. This is our school, not the board of trustees’ school.

Jake Maskara is a member of the class of 2027 and can be reached at jmaskara@wesleyan.edu.