c/o Magnolia Bakery

c/o Magnolia Bakery

I grew up outside New York City, and I fondly remember my parents taking me on trips into Manhattan. Our visits often included stopping at Magnolia Bakery, a popular chain located throughout the city. While the store is known for its wide variety of cupcakes and different types of pudding, its most famous dessert (and my personal favorite) is the banana pudding. Magnolia Bakery’s recipe is quite easy to make and very delicious. The pudding is made with JELL-O vanilla instant pudding mix, which simplifies the recipe and adds to its nostalgia factor. I’ve made this pudding a few times, most recently for my friend’s birthday.

Ingredients 

• 1 14-ounce can condensed milk
  • 1 and 1/2 cups ice cold water
  • 1 package instant french vanilla pudding mix (You can also use regular vanilla or banana flavored)
  • 3 cups heavy cream. You may want a hand/stand mixer to beat the heavy cream, although you can also do it by hand with a whisk. Just make sure you have a fun playlist going, since it may take a very long time. 
  • 5–6 ripe bananas
  • 1 11-ounce box Nilla Wafers

Instructions

1. Beat condensed milk with water in a large bowl. Stir in pudding mix and beat well until combined. Place mixture into the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight (Note: It’s best to let the pudding sit for longer so it can settle).
  2. Whip heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks. The consistency will thicken, and the whisk will leave marks in the cream.
  3. Fold the whipped cream into the pudding mixture. Stir until combined. 
  4. Slice the bananas into small discs.
  5. Get a 4–5 quart trifle bowl or other glass bowl. Spread a small amount of pudding on the bottom. Layer enough cookies to cover, then layer enough bananas to cover the cookies. Spread 1/3 of the remaining pudding over the bananas. Repeat layering cookies, bananas, and pudding twice more, ending with a final layer of pudding. Crumble the remaining cookies and sprinkle them on top of the pudding.
  6. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours. This dessert is best served within 12 hours, before the bananas turn brown, although it can still be eaten for a few days if kept in the refrigerator.

Blake Klein can be reached at bklein@wesleyan.edu.