c/o Sophie Griffin

c/o Sophie Griffin

Welcome back, fellow travelers. Whether you spent the winter holidays hiding under your childhood comforter, drinking too much eggnog, or working on your thesis on campus, we know that you all share one common thing: buzzing excitement for the spring semester! Read ahead to find out what we here at The Argus think are the best tips to survive this semester in style. 

I am from the West Coast. What do I do about the snow?

Get your puffer on, tighten those snow boots, and find a sled. Now you are ready to hit the slopes on Foss Hill. In this outdoor winter wonderland, the snow offers endless possibilities. You may choose to build a snowman. You may choose to majestically catch the snowflakes with your tongue. You may, alternatively, stay inside and avoid the treacherous weather at all costs.

What exciting events should I look out for in February?

Hang in there, the winter months on campus are not as boring as you might think. This month, the Center for the Arts will be honoring the Ezra and Cecile Zilkha Gallery’s 50th anniversary. You can kick off the celebration of this exhibition, which will be on display until March 3, by attending the opening party on Tuesday, Jan. 30 at 4:30 p.m. in the cozy concrete of the Center for the Arts. Additionally, on Thursday, Feb. 8 at 6:00 p.m., the Resource Center will be holding its “Love in Context” event, where students can create Valentine cards alongside the Center’s Race, Ethnicity, and Nationality interns. Among other stimulating events, the “The Critic and Her Publics” speaker series will be returning on Tuesday, Feb. 6, with Moira Donegan’s talk. 

I’m graduating this semester, and I’m feeling really sad about having all of my last experiences here. What should I do to enjoy rather than dread this time?

First of all, we get it. It’s hard to think about the end of your time here, especially for the class of 2024, who have had a less-than-typical experience. However, as much as you might think so, these are not your only glory days. You will go on to do such amazing things, and the future is in the palm of your hand. Maybe take this time of uncertainty to try out something new instead of dwelling on the past. You never know where it might take you. And if you are worried about losing that sense of community, don’t fret! All your friends are moving to Bushwick too. In all seriousness, though, losing proximity to those you love is scary. Try making intentional time to see the people you are close to and talk through what it is going to look like when you aren’t within a one-mile radius of each other anymore.

What’s up with PAC? Can I sit in the CSS library?

Yes, you can! For those of you who have not yet been acquainted, the Frank Center for Public Affairs (PAC) is the newest remodeled building on campus. It is home to many offices, classrooms, and incredible study spaces. This includes the College of Social of Studies’ (CSS) library, a huge lounge filled with comfy couches and plush armchairs. It is open to the public—please ignore the glares from those intimidating CSSers—and so everyone should feel comfortable working there. If you are in the area and looking for a place to work or hang out with friends, PAC is a great place to be!