Dear readers and friends of The Argus,

We can’t believe that the end of the semester is already here. It really feels like time has flown, and it doesn’t feel quite real that finals and winter break are right around the corner. When our predecessors Rachel Wachman ’24 and Andrew Lu ’23 handed us the editor-in-chief baton last spring, we couldn’t predict what kind of semester this would be. And now standing here in December, looking back on the last several months, we can’t express how grateful we are to have been your editors-in-chief this fall.

Next semester, the editors-in-chief of The Argus will be…(drumroll please)…current Head Copy Editor Anne Kiely ’24 and current Opinion Editor, Head Archivist, and Assistant Head Copy Editor Sam Hilton ’25! We are so excited for them and can’t wait to see what they do come January!

One of the most intensive parts of being editor-in-chief is editing every article that gets published in The Argus, but it’s also an incredible opportunity to get to know everyone on the paper, from contributing writers to senior editors. Learning the variety of writing, interviewing, and editing styles of the staff has shown us how hard everyone on The Argus works. It’s been a privilege to get to know each person’s style individually.

The Argus has covered so much this semester, and none of it could have happened without so many incredible people. We won’t highlight any articles in particular because that list would be too long, but we encourage everyone to look back on our website for any articles they may have missed! Our coverage will continue to expand next semester, and we’re thrilled to announce that we’re resurrecting a section from The Argus’ past: the Ampersand, a satirical and humor section that will be run by current Features Editor Eugenia Shakhnovskaya ’24 and current Staff Writer Lily Ahluwalia ’27! We’ve heard that other humor publications are also starting up on campus, and we’re excited to collaborate and engage with them.

The work we’ve done this semester—as always, in collaboration with so many people—has ranged from the financial to the ethical. We’ve worked with the Wesleyan Student Assembly’s Student Budget Committee to reevaluate The Argus’ budget and rethink how we can preserve journalistic independence. We’ve gotten the ball rolling on reevaluating The Argus’ pay structure to better reflect the entire staff’s priorities and values. In collaboration with Executive Editor Rachel Wachman ’24 and Financial Managers Caleb Henning ’25 and Lily Faith-Goldfine ’25, we’ve looked into alternative sources of funding to increase the number of staff members we can pay. Newspapers require a lot of time and effort, and that can be a major barrier to pursuing journalism as a student.

One of our goals for this semester has been to reshape and reinvent the Anti-Racist Newsroom Committee, which was established in the aftermath of an anti-Black Lives Matter opinion piece published in The Argus in 2015. However, the committee slowly lost momentum and members, until only the editors-in-chief and Sabrina were running it. Through discussions with the rest of masthead, we’ve expanded its scope and accordingly renamed it as the Ethics & Equity Committee. Starting next semester, Ethics & Equity chairs will be in charge of ensuring that the committee meets regularly to discuss what ethical and equitable journalism looks like, at The Argus and elsewhere.

Before we close out this letter, we have to say a big thank you to everyone on masthead! This paper would not be possible without all of the dedication, thought, and care you put into each article and every other facet of The Argus. We’d like to give an extra special thank you to Managing Editor Kat Struhar ’25! Words can’t describe how grateful we are for all of Kat’s passion and incredible work this semester, from organizing five Speaker Series events to helping make editorial decisions!

And finally, we’d like to thank you, our readers. Thank you for supporting us and sharing your stories. It has truly been a privilege, and it means a lot that we’ve been able to engage with so many members of the Wesleyan community this semester.

With so much love and gratitude,

Sabrina and Elias, 

Editors-in-Chief.

Sabrina Ladiwala can be reached at sladiwala@wesleyan.edu

Elias Mansell can be reached at emansell@wesleyan.edu.

• It is my fave to read posts that have the potential to stimulate thought in people of both sexes. I would also like to express my gratitude for the opportunity to submit input.

• It is quite enjoyable for me to read through a piece that can provoke thought in both men and women. Please accept my gratitude for allowing me to leave a comment.

• Thanks, I have just been looking for information about this subject for a long time and yours is the best I’ve discovered till now. However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you certain in regards to the supply?

• hello!,I like your writing very so much! proportion we keep up a correspondence extra approximately your post on AOL? I need an expert in this space to unravel my problem. May be that is you! Taking a look forward to see you.

• What i don’t understood is in reality how you’re now not really a lot more smartly-favored than you might be now. You’re very intelligent. You understand therefore significantly in terms of this topic, produced me personally believe it from a lot of numerous angles. Its like women and men are not interested except it is one thing to accomplish with Woman gaga! Your own stuffs outstanding. Always care for it up!

• obviously like your website but you need to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very troublesome to inform the reality on the other hand Ill certainly come back again

• Hi i think that i saw you visited my web site thus i came to Return the favore Im attempting to find things to enhance my siteI suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas

• Wonderful beat I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site how could i subscribe for a blog web site The account aided me a acceptable deal I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea

• I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

• Usually I do not read article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, very nice article.

• I loved you better than you would ever be able to express here. The picture is beautiful, and your wording is elegant; nonetheless, you read it in a short amount of time. I believe that you ought to give it another shot in the near future. If you make sure that this trek is safe, I will most likely try to do that again and again.

• Simply wish to say your article is as amazing The clearness in your post is just nice and i could assume youre an expert on this subject Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post Thanks a million and please carry on the gratifying work

• Fantastic beat I would like to apprentice while you amend your web site how could i subscribe for a blog site The account helped me a acceptable deal I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

• Its like you read my mind You appear to know so much about this like you wrote the book in it or something I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit but instead of that this is excellent blog A fantastic read Ill certainly be back

• I simply could not go away your web site prior to suggesting that I really enjoyed the standard info a person supply on your guests Is going to be back incessantly to investigate crosscheck new posts

• Step in, stand out. Your AI journey begins here.