Today I’m going to ask you to take hibernophobia seriously, because Wesleyan University has a hibernophobia problem. Hibernophoba, or anti-Irish sentiment, refers to acts of discrimination against the good-faith, kilt-clad, ale-drinking people of Ireland. Even at today’s supposedly progressive institutions, it is unfortunately common to witness hibernophobic jokes, jabs, or otherwise discriminatory gestures; this weekend’s global premiere of student-written musical “Bonar,” for example, was full of vitriolic discrimination against the Irish. I hope by bringing this pressing issue to the attention of the student body, we can all work to make Wesleyan a more inclusive place for the Irish.

While “Bonar” began on the right note (so to speak, in reality, the drummer clearly couldn’t hold a beat) with an important discussion on the discrimination men with silly names face, it quickly diverged into a full-scale attack on the Irish, with choruses of “F**k the Irish” landing many punchlines. However catchy and well-harmonized, it felt like a slap in the face. How can we claim inclusion in good faith if our jokes rely on discriminating against a group who, only 200 years ago, were told “need not apply”? They couldn’t even apply.

I hope we can find the strength and kindness to push back against this discrimination.

Thomas Lyons is a member of the class of 2026 and can be reached at trylons@wesleyan.edu.

• Jerry

Please be satire please be satire please be satire

• The Misandrist

Drink more ale and take a wild guess, Jerry

• Sheamus O’Connor

Right on, lad. O’ shite am I glad this is finally being brought to light. I was havin’ the craic with me lads in Galway after wathing that there “Freddy Fazbear” film, when yer man with a “Wesleyan” sweatshirt went up to me and said “Who are you as an IRISHMAN to watch the FNAF” movie. He said it “FUH-NAFF” just like that, I was guttered. Who is he to come into my country, my home, and issue me this undue Hibernophobic micro agression. Really. You shouldn’t have to fear that your activism will somehow become less compelling because you recognize the humanity of Dubliners. Don’t be an arse, but be vocal. Be respectful. Be genuine. Hopefully, we’ll all be grand. Cheers mate.