c/o Lia Franklin, Features Editor

c/o Lia Franklin, Features Editor

As we enter the season of darkness, the Feats section thought we would give you some advice on how to brave the cold. From Thanksgiving to the various winter festivals, the season can feel overwhelming, especially when you are far from home. Don’t worry, we got you covered with all the tips and tricks to thrive this winter. 

How do I deal with the cold?

After that sunny, blissful homecoming weekend, many of the University’s students were shocked by the abrupt cold last week. With the Connecticut winds back to freeze our ears and induce the sniffles, it is time to bring out your fuzziest scarves and warmest socks. To help you battle the seasonal breeze, invest in some hand warmers, a good puffer, and wool everything. When your mother tells you that you lose 15000% of your warmth from your head, don’t laugh. Never laugh. The hat hair is worth it—believe us. If you are really opposed to accessorizing for winter (I mean, get your drip up, but fine), then find strategic ways to get around campus. Cut through Exley for the blissful minute of warmth. Use those CFA tunnels and never see the sky. That’s what sun lamps are for, silly. 

What is coming up in November?

Sadness. Jk jk jk. Yes the sun sets at 5 p.m. now…and you have to leave the house bundled up like the girl from “The Snowy Day”…and every plant on campus that used to give you some modicum of joy is dead. But don’t fret! There are plenty of things to love about the coming winter season. Enjoy some hot chocolate from Pi Cafe with your friends. Dive deeper into the cold and visit the Spurrier-Snyder Ice Rink on Monday through Thursday from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. for some winter fun. Check out the exciting events that the Center for the Arts is hosting this month, including the theater department production Wolfcrush happening this weekend from Nov. 9 to Nov. 11 and the “Instrument—Body” performance next week on Nov. 17 at 4:30 p.m. And, never forget, that even on the darkest and dreariest of nights, The Ride exists. Whatever you do, don’t call Frank on his day off. 

I am staying on campus for Thanksgiving. What should I do?

Ahhh Thanksgiving. The food, the air, the Christian girl autumn vibes. If you can’t go home this year, try bringing home to you. Organize a Thanksgiving among friends, a friends-giving one might say. Reach out to your relatives for the secret recipes that they swore they would carry to their grave and indulge in your holiday favorites. While campus can feel empty during breaks, it’s also a great time to make connections with the people who are around you. You are definitely not alone. If you have a mode of transport for getting around Connecticut, even better! Check out the Free Holiday Dance Concert in Guildford on Nov. 25, or head to Lyman Orchards for a special, holiday pop-up shop on Nov. 25 or 26. 

How does it feel to be a man on campus?

“This we cannot speak on.” – The female space which writes these articles