If you’re looking for some inebriation, celebrating a 21st birthday, or just longing for a good drink, you have to decide among the many Middletown establishments available to you. Fortunately, this handy guide will bring you to the best, or better-than-average, local establishments that I find worthy places for one to imbibe.

Bergen House

Recently, I had the pleasure of visiting Bergen House, a brewery that makes its own mead in-house. I had no idea what mead was before my friends suggested going, but the owner, Talon Bergen, explained to us that it is a fermented honey wine that can take on different flavors and infusions. Mr. Bergen’s flavors include ginger, citrus, cardamom, and even coffee, the result of a collaboration with Perkatory, which is just next door. The mead is tasty, with a flavor similar to sparkling wine, except it’s a tad more viscous. If you like kombucha or other fizzy fermented drinks, I would recommend it. 

The space itself is a large, high-ceilinged building, and all the production equipment is visible from the bar. In addition to the bar and distillery, there is also a spacious foyer with beanbags, some desks, plenty of board games, and fantasy novels. Unfortunately, customers cannot order food and the only drink available is mead. It is a brewery, as opposed to a bar. However, you do have the satisfaction of knowing exactly where this mead comes from and who makes it. If you go, I recommend starting with the sampler. It’s a good deal, and you can find which flavor suits you best. 

Eli Cannon’s 

Eli’s is a classic Middletown establishment, a lively space with good food and well-priced beer. While you won’t be able to find Bud Light on tap, they offer a wide variety of local beers, and frequently rotate them. Craft beer is their main selling point, and a pint will only set you back $6-$8. The “Eli’s Mule” cocktail is also a refreshing way to wash down a meal. The menu mostly consists of classic bar food, but the fried green tomatoes and the veggie burger are standouts. Additionally, the nachos are a great way to get some carbs in before a night out, and there’s enough to please a hungry crowd. 

More importantly, the ambiance is fantastic, and it’s a good place to get a pint with friends.

Harrie’s Jailhouse

Located in the basement of a historic jail, Harrie’s probably offers customers the highest quality food of all the places on this list. The menu mostly features salad and sandwiches, but the taste is superior to your average bar food. Their eggplant cutlet sliders are also a great vegetarian option. I may be biased because I have a soft spot for Southern cuisine, but their pimento cheese, pulled pork, and fried chicken are authentic and delicious. It would be worth the trip just to grab one of these yummy plates. 

Along with their food, their drink menu gets the job done. Their cocktails are tasty and unique. “El Warden” mixes sour and spice, and the hibiscus gin sour is another refreshing option. I will say that both food and drinks are a little pricey for what they are. However, as it gets warmer, there is a great patio area to enjoy your drinks and escape the basement.

Celtic Cavern

Celtic is yet another basement location. It’s always packed with people and has incredibly charming servers. It’s a lively spot to share a meal with a friend, with some of the best cocktails I’ve had in Middletown. The classics are perfect (especially the bloody mary and the gin and tonic) and I would strongly recommend the lavender elixir. The food is great. There are weekly and daily specials that are very solid, especially the fish and chips. The burrata is not traditionally Italian but is nonetheless to die for, especially after a couple of drinks. I will say, my friends often mention that the food, especially the burger, can get greasy. So be prepared. It’s a great place for a quiet dinner or for a rowdy time out with friends. This spot has range.

Kiran Kowalski can be reached at kkowalski@wesleyan.edu.