c/o Wesleyan Athletics

c/o Wesleyan Athletics

In Play(er) of the Week, our goal is to highlight Wesleyan athletes or segments of games that deserve extra attention. This week, we will be highlighting a recent moment from the football team’s Little Three matchup against Amherst College on Saturday, Oct. 29.

When the two teams last met, the Mammoths managed a narrow 16–14 victory in the fourth overtime at the Cardinals’ 2021 Homecoming game. Fueled by the memory of the past upset and wanting to shake off the results of last week’s 26–28 loss to Bowdoin, the Cardinals came into this matchup ready for revenge.   

The first quarter got off to a slow start, with neither team managing to find the endzone. But then, nearing the end of the period, after the Cardinals defense forced a three-and-out, Mason Morrow lined up to punt and was blocked by linebacker Kade Doverspike ’24. The ball bounced towards the Amherst endzone and was snagged by Nerdo Moreau ’24 who fell on the loose ball to score a touchdown for the Cards, bringing the score to 7–0 by the end of the first.

The next two quarters saw missed scoring opportunities from both teams, with the Mammoths not scoring until a fourth-quarter touchdown that brought the score to 7–7 and sent the game into overtime for the third season in a row. But even in the face of mounting pressure, the Cardinals were undeterred. Taking the ball first on offense, quarterback David Estevez ’23 sent a 21-yard pass to captain and wide receiver Matt Simco ’23 to set up a 1st-and-goal at the 1-yard line. Running back Charlie McPhee ’22 MA ’23 then took the handoff to secure the first and only offensive touchdown by the Cardinals of the day, bringing the score to 13–7. 

It was then the Mammoths’ turn at the ball, who had a scoring chance at the 4th-and-goal from the 7-yard line, but after an incomplete pass from quarterback Mike Piazza to Owen Gaydos, the Mammoths lost their shot and the Cardinals secured an unforgettable Little Three victory.

For his spectacular performance in this matchup, Doverspike, who also had four total tackles and an assist on defense, was awarded NESCAC Special Teams Player of the Week (the third overall this season for the Cardinals). 

Looking ahead, the Cards will take on Williams, one of their Little Three rivals, this Saturday, Nov. 5 as a part of Homecoming Weekend. Williams is the reigning NESCAC Champion, and this game has the potential to determine who will take home the Little Three title. 

Erin Byerly can be reached at ebyerly@wesleyan.edu.