Dear Argus Readers, Re: Father William Wallace,

I am writing this letter because I am disillusioned and disappointed. I also am not a student, staff, or alumna of Wesleyan. I fully understand that my opinion has no leverage. However, after 45 years in the American workforce, I have experienced what Father [Bill] is going through, know his status is not unique, and know the kinds of problems his loss has already had, and will continue to present. I was born, raised, and still live in Middletown. From the ages of seven to 24, I lived at 46 Fountain Avenue. Our home has been owned by Wesleyan since 1992. The changes in the area would be unrecognizable for someone who hadn’t lived through the growth. Growing up, Wesleyan was our playground. We explored the underground tunnels when we had no business being there, rolled and slid down the hills, swam at the old sports arena, and took the shortcut when walking to grammar school. It was an all-male school then, and it always had the reputation of being liberal and progressive. Of course, all things change, and at 72 I have a lot to look back on and share. One thing that I didn’t think would change was the philosophy of being liberal and progressive. Now I see that Wesleyan has not escaped the pitfalls of money, power, and control. And that is my disillusionment. I think what happened to Father Bill is a lesson for all students to remember. When you take a job and there is no Union or a contract of employment, you are at will. The bottom line of that status is that you can be terminated for any reason, at any time, and not told why. You can be excellent at what you do, be well liked and respected by almost all, and be an asset whose loss will have negative repercussions for years to come. So, what is the real reason for his termination? Did the top feel threatened? If so, why? Was jealousy a factor? Was there a fear of replacement due to incompetency? Financial reasons, really? We know that he stood up and expressed his opinions. He was terminated. That is not the philosophy of a liberal and progressive University, which I thought Wesleyan was, and [which] Wesleyan proclaims to be. And that is my disappointment. Whoever got this far in reading my letter, stand up when you know that things are wrong, and be able to defend that position by documenting what you know. I understand that some of you are on scholarship or have agreements for your schooling, and there is obvious retaliation to speaking the truth. But the truth is the only thing that you can be proud of. Be proud of your words and actions. Strive to be fair, honest, and consistent. 

Sincerely,

Linda Perruccio Passanisi

Linda Perruccio Passanisi is a resident of Middletown and can be reached at lindapass4@yahoo.com.