c/o tastemade.co.uk

c/o tastemade.co.uk

Banging Eats with Feats is a column dedicated to Wesleyan students’ favorite recipes and the stories behind them. Send us a recipe that’s important to you, and let us know why!

Last Thursday, I was sitting in my government seminar when I heard the news that Britain’s longest-reigning monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, had died at the age of 96. Growing up in England, the Queen was one of a few constant public figures in my life. She was unwaveringly dedicated to her country right up until her death. I remember celebrating several of her jubilees with street parties, listening to the televised speech she gave to the nation each Christmas, and watching her Buckingham Palace balcony appearances.

In honor of Her late Majesty the Queen and her incredible 70-year-long service to my country and its people, the launch of Banging Eats With Feats will begin with a classic and quintessentially British recipe for apple crumble, courtesy of my mother.

Apple crumble is a dish that I always try to bake and enjoy at least once when I am back home in the U.K. Beautifully sweet and sharp cinnamon-spiced apples are covered in a crunchy, rich, and buttery crumble topping and are served warm with vanilla custard or vanilla ice cream. For me, sitting in front of the TV with a bowl of this dessert is quite frankly an unparalleled experience that never fails to make me feel connected to home and, perhaps in some weird way, proud to be British.

Ingredients 

• 4 large Bramley apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 cm / ½ in pieces *
  • 8 oz  / 1¾ cups plain flour **
  • 3 oz / 3/8 cup / 6 tablespoons butter
  • 3 oz / 1/8 cup light brown sugar
  • Cinnamon 
  • Optional: 2 handfuls of flaked almonds 
  • Vanilla ice cream or vanilla custard 

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 375 F / 190 C.
  2. Slice the apples and arrange in a pie dish or shallow baking dish.  
  3. Stir and coat apples in cinnamon to taste.
  4. Place the flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. 
  5. Taking a few cubes of butter at a time, rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
  6. Place the crumble mixture loosely on top of the apples.  
  7. Sprinkle flaked almonds on top of the crumble.  
  8. Bake the crumble for 40-45 minutes until it is browned, and the fruit mixture is bubbling. 
  9. Allow to cool slightly and serve warm with vanilla ice cream or custard. 

*Fuji apples may be a more widely available apple equivalent. The apples used in this recipe should be those with a sweet and tart flavor profile. 

**Substitute 1 oz / 1/4 cup of flour with oats for a nutty taste.

Tiah Shepherd can be reached at tshepherd@wesleyan.edu.