The Fries Center for Global Studies (FCGS) will participate in International Education Week (IEW) from Sunday, Nov. 13 to Saturday, Nov. 19. Through the program, which was started by the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education, college campuses hold events throughout the week to recognize higher education’s commitment to international education and exchange programs. The University’s IEW will include events, both in-person and on Zoom, ranging from African dance classes to intercultural panels and lecture series to a Greek film night. 

Assistant Director of Study Abroad Hannah Parten plans the University’s IEW in collaboration with board members from the International Student Association (ISA). According to Parten, IEW began in 2017, one year after the creation of the Fries Center.

“It’s thanks to two FCGS staff members (who have since departed Wesleyan) that IEW was established at Wesleyan, and the format of events has remained largely the same over the years,” Parten said. “International Education Week 2020 was unique in that it was entirely online, so we’re very excited to bring on-campus events back this year.”

Parten also expressed gratitude for the students, faculty, and campus partners involved in coordinating the event. 

“This is my first time leading International Education Week (IEW), but thankfully, I have the support of wonderful colleagues, students, and campus partners,” Parten said. “We have an IEW committee that is made up of students, faculty, and staff from the Fries Center for Global Studies, Office of International Student Affairs, Gordon Career Center, Jewett Center for Community Partnerships, Resource Center, Residential Life, CAPS, and Education Studies. We assembled the committee a couple months back to discuss our goals for IEW 2021 and share some initial event ideas. In addition to planning their own events, these offices also offer financial and planning support to student groups that are hosting IEW events.”

The International Student Association (ISA) helped organize and plan events throughout the week. ISA board member Eden Ho ’24 stressed the importance of the ISA to both IEW and the University’s overall campus culture.

“We hope for there to be more focus on the diversity and interculturality of the Wesleyan population—not only from Wesleyan students but from faculty and administrative staff as well,” Ho said. “We’re excited to see performances from individuals all over the world, from Asian, European, South American, African and any other underrepresented cultures on campus—and that there is indeed not only a comfortable but celebratory space for students of these cultures to express themselves freely. In turn, we hope that IEW and this event will be a catalyst for more diverse representation in the arts and the start of slow but sure growth of Internationalism within the intellectual and social culture here at Wesleyan.”

Alix Livermore ’24 emphasized the multicultural experiences planned through games, food, and films next week.

“I’m really excited to try the different foods from different nations and cultures,” Livermore said. “I think students here forget about the international student population at this school, so it’s important that we celebrate cultures besides our own.”

Event organizers hope that students will take advantage of the events offered at IEW. 

“I hope that all members of our community (students, faculty, and staff) will recognize the many ways in which we can engage meaningfully in intercultural learning and understanding at Wesleyan,” Parten said. “Wesleyan is an international institution, and IEW simply highlights what already exists here. I hope that International Education Week prompts us to further engage with and appreciate the global multicultural environment we have at Wes.”

Dylan Campos can be reached at dcampos@wesleyan.edu.