c/o Sara McCrea, Editor in Chief

c/o Sara McCrea, Editor in Chief

Following a shooting incident at Williams Street in Traverse Square at approximately 6:45 p.m. on Saturday, May 1, police took Antwan Rufus into custody on Wednesday, May 5 for potential involvement in the incident, during which a man was shot in the leg several times. The police have concluded that the Traverse Square shooting was connected to another shooting that occurred on Wednesday, April 28 at about 10:45 p.m. on Maplewood Terrace, although no one was hit by the gunfire.

Rufus was taken into custody on Main Street and was placed under arrest after a detective identified him in the Green Street and Main Street area. Rufus is facing a number of charges and is currently being held on a $500,000 court-set bond.

“Rufus was taken into custody on the outstanding warrant charging him with Criminal Attempt at Assault First, Assault 2nd, Unlawful Discharge of a Firearm, Criminal Possession of a Firearm, Reckless Endangerment 1st, and Commission of a Class A,B,C Felony with a Firearm,” a Thursday, May 6 press release read.

The Middletown Police Department Major Investigations Unit, with assistance from the Middletown Housing Authority, is still investigating both the Williams Street and Maplewood Terrace shootings.

Since the investigation is being conducted by the Middletown Police, the University’s Office of Public Safety (PSafe) will not become involved unless advised to do so. However, PSafe is maintaining close contact with the Middletown Police throughout the investigation.

“I have no information if this event is related to another shooting or not,” Director of PSafe Scott Rohde wrote in an email to The Argus. “I have asked that the police update us if an arrest is made so I can update the Wesleyan Community.”

In response to the incident, Rohde emphasized that students should exercise normal caution and reminded students of the University’s RIDE service and PSafe. 

“My initial reaction was that I wanted to get some information out to the campus community so there was awareness regarding all the police activity in the area,” Rohde wrote.  

As the Middletown Police Department continues its investigation, Rohde maintains that there are working tools to ensure the safety of University students, faculty, and staff.

c/o Avi Friederich, Staff Photographer

c/o Avi Friederich, Staff Photographer

“Even though this occurred off [of] campus it is an important reminder that students should make sure their correct cell phone number is included in the campus emergency alert system database so they can receive important messages,” Rohde wrote. “System tests should be taken seriously and are a good time to verify the most current data is on file. Because these events can unfold very fast students, faculty and staff should regularly think through their own personal safety plan should they encounter a life-threatening situation.”

As the investigation is ongoing, anyone with information is advised to contact Detective Dan Spedding of the Middletown Police Department Detective Bureau at 860-638-4153.


Hallie Sternberg can be reached at hsternberg@wesleyan.edu or on Twitter @halsternberg

Oliver Cope can be reached at ocope@wesleyan.edu

Comments are closed