It’s hard to believe it’s already November. It feels like the year is flying by, and before we know it, we’ll be off again for Thanksgiving and then Winter Break soon after. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves—come spend your evenings at the Film Series for a great way to slow down and take a break from the hectic rush of assignments. Take a deep breath, sit in the comfortable seats of the Goldsmith, and immerse yourself in the cinematic journeys we have in store.

This week, we begin our screenings with the 2019 hit “Blinded by the Light,” so if you missed it in theaters, you can catch it here for free! Next, we move to Cuarón favorite “Children of Men,” set in a no-longer-so-distant dystopian future. It’s a very different movie from his more recent film, “Roma,” but equally powerful. On Friday, we bring you Disney’s animated classic “Hercules,” a truly delightful musical comedy, which we’ll show in 35mm. We’ll finish off the week with captivating Italian crime drama “Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion.” 

c/o cinematerial.com

c/o cinematerial.com

“Blinded by the Light”

2019. UK. Dir: Gurinder Chadha. With Viveik Kalra. 117 min.

Wednesday, Nov. 6. 8 p.m. Free.

In the late 1980s, a Pakistani-British teenager stumbles upon the music of Bruce Springsteen, instigating a journey of self-discovery within his cultural hybridity. “Bend It Like Beckham” auteur Chadha pays homage to The Boss with this wholesome tale reminding us that, baby, we were born to run.

Content warning: racial slurs, racial violence 

c/o scriptslug.com

c/o scriptslug.com

“Children of Men”

2006. USA. Dir: Alfonso Cuarón. With Clive Owen, Julianne Moore. 109 min.

Thursday, Nov. 7. 8 p.m. Free.

In 2027, when infertility creates anarchy and threatens extinction, a peace activist turned cynical bureaucrat is recruited by his ex-lover on a mission to save the human race. Combining striking visual texture with unbroken takes, Cuarón touches on topical issues of immigration and sustainability in this poignantly crafted dystopian—yet hopeful—thriller.

c/o alphacoders.com

c/o alphacoders.com

“Hercules”

1997. USA. Dir: Ron Clements, John Musker. Animation. 93 min.

Friday, Nov. 8. 8 p.m. $5.

Long, long ago, baby Hercules was snatched from Mount Olympus and forced to live on earth as a mortal. Now a misfit teen with superhuman strength, he must prove himself a true hero to claim his rightful place among the gods. Let the muses’ catchy tunes guide you through this delightful Disney comedy of mythic proportion.

c/o wikipedia.com

c/o wikipedia.com

“Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion”

1970. Italy. Dir: Elio Petri. With Gian Volenté, Florinda Bolkan. 115 min.

Saturday, Nov. 9. 8 p.m. Free. 

Petri’s fierce sarcasm over authoritarian police practices is embodied in this twist-filled crime melodrama. Centered on a cop who murders his mistress and then intentionally leaves damning evidence behind, “Investigation” bombards the era’s corrupt bureaucracy with its own disturbing psyche.