Young people everywhere are sick and tired of the lack of progress being made on pressing environmental issues, most especially climate change. They recognize that climate change will directly impact their generation, and are inspired by young people like Greta Thunberg, who are taking a stance and demanding political action. We need our politicians to make climate change an urgent priority and put it at the top of the agenda, not the bottom of the agenda. Today, Friday September 20th, is the first of eight days of global climate action, timed to coincide with the United Nations Climate Action Summit in New York. Climate strikes are taking place in cities across the country and the globe. We are writing to encourage everyone to lend their support to this call for action. We hope you will stand in public support of ending the endless bickering and beginning a coordinated global response to the increasing threat posed by climate change. Alongside a coalition of other Connecticut climate action groups, there are over 50 Wesleyan students striking today in Hartford, organized by the Sunrise Movement Middletown hub. At the state house, they are demanding that Connecticut’s governor Ned Lamont and state legislature declare a climate emergency for the state of Connecticut. There are also climate events taking place on Wesleyan’s campus. President Roth has written to the campus community, announcing events that we encourage you to attend: • 12–2 p.m. Global Climate Rally (Usdan courtyard): Speeches by student groups and other members of the Wesleyan community, followed by an on-campus march. • 4:30 p.m. (Exley 150): Climate Rant by Professor of Physics Brian Stewart (who will also convert his 1:20 p.m. class into a climate teach-in at Exley 150) • 6 p.m. (Church St. or Washington Ave.) Candle Light Vigil We also think you should make an effort to raise your level of awareness. It is a delicate balancing act to hold on to one’s hopes for the future while learning about the true nature of the threat we face.  But we think that failing to inform ourselves and engage in robust discussion of the issues is precisely how we have gotten into our present predicament.  Although the facts are grim, there is hope. If we come together and take direct action, we can shift the agenda and change things. Young people who are mobilizing on the climate crisis have power. You will find links to a wide variety of information about climate science, the damage climate change has already inflicted, and the response needed from us in an article posted on the Middletown Eye at https://middletowneyenews.blogspot.com/2019/09/global-climate-strike-friday.html .

In solidarity, Jackie Duckett ’20, Sunrise Movement Middletown coordinator Brian Stewart, Professor of Physics

Jackie Duckett is a member of the class of 2020. Brian Stewart is a Professor of Physics.