This week marks the start of our Hispanic Film Series, with a screening of the character-driven drama, “The Chambermaid.” You can also catch “Midsommar” if you missed it in theaters, or go a second time and experience the madness all over again. You may have noticed a pattern in our Saturday picks: they’re always films on the older side, and this time we’ve got the 1950s hit “Pillow Talk,” which is perhaps Doris Day’s most famous comedy. 

On Thursday, we have a special event you won’t want to miss! We are screening “This Changes Everything,” an important documentary about the entertainment industry. This thorough, urgent conversation about gender disparity features earnest testimonials from many recognizable figures in entertainment, and yet the real stars of this story are the names you don’t know: the professionals and activists whose dogged work across decades provided the foundation for the current hope, passion, and momentum in the industry. Among these is filmmaker/activist Maria Giese, who will join director Tom Donahue for a Q&A following the screening.

camarista

c/o imdb.com

“The Chambermaid” (“La camarista”)

2018. Mexico. Dir: Lila Avilés. With Gabriela Cartol. 102 min.

Wednesday, September 18. 8 p.m. Free.

A meditative character piece following a housekeeper in an upscale Mexico City hotel, “La camarista” raises ready comparison to “Roma,” yet spurns Cuarón’s sentiment and grandeur. The job’s quiet, anonymous monotony and hermetic artificiality make the lives of others seem that much more bizarre and our protagonist’s small hopes that much more personal.

changes_everything

c/o imdb.com

“This Changes Everything”

2018. USA. Dir: Tom Donahue. With Geena Davis, Meryl Streep, Taraji P. Henson. Documentary. 97 min.

Thursday, September 19. 8 p.m. Free.

Narrated by some of Hollywood’s most prominent figures, this timely uncovering of gender discrimination in the entertainment industry highlights the need to change who tells the story, both in front of and behind the camera. Q&A to follow.

c/o imdb.com

c/o imdb.com

“Midsommar”

2019. USA/Sweden. Dir: Ari Aster. With Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor. 147 min.

Friday, September 20th. 8 p.m. $5.

Welcome to the quaint Hårga commune! Watch as their midsummer celebration commences and revel in its eccentric traditions. Bask in the northern European sun and leave your worries from home behind. You could even be crowned this year’s May Queen. Wait, is that smoke? What was in that drink? Where’d my friends go?!?

pillow_talk

c/o imdb.com

“Pillow Talk”

Saturday, September 21. 8 p.m. Free.

1959. USA. Dir: Michael Gordon. With Doris Day, Rock Hudson. 103 min.

Playboy songwriter Brad (Hudson) and uptight interior decorator Jan (Day) butt heads when they are forced to share a telephone line. After Brad meets Jan in person, everything changes and he decides to masquerade as a Texas rancher to win her over. This timeless comedy marks the first onscreen pairing of star duo Day and Hudson.

Be sure to check out our Facebook page, Instagram (@wesfilmseries) and Twitter (@FilmSeries) for updates on all things Wesleyan Film Series.