c/o Wesleyan University

c/o Wesleyan University

Folks, it’s a new season–not just with the rain, but with soccer, too! Women’s soccer kicked off its season by winning three of its first five games, including a 2-0 home victory against NESCAC opponent Bowdoin last Saturday, Sept. 14th. The team also won its season opener against Western Connecticut State University and later another against Wellesley College, while dropping two games against Emerson College and Tufts. The Cards wield a 3-2-0 record heading into an important conference matchup this weekend against Bates.

The 2-0 win against Bowdoin last Saturday was a dominant victory for the Cards, settling the 1-1 tie from last year’s meeting between the two teams. The Cardinals were able to hold a 15-13 shot advantage against the Polar Bears, with goals from forwards Liz Young ’19 and Lauren Goetzman ’19 in the first half. In a late attempt by the Bowdoin side to mount a comeback, Wesleyan goalkeeper Zoe Cassels-Brown ’20 was also able to make two clutch saves to preserve total shut-out.

Forward Emily Ribatt ’21 credits the team’s persistence and effort for its win.

“Once we settled down and stayed patient in the box, we started scoring a lot more goals,” Ribatt said. “We just need to take the extra second to give ourselves the best possible chance at scoring, and that will take us a long way throughout the season.”

Unfortunately, the hardships surrounding the team have stacked up in the first few weeks of the season, as multiple seniors are now out with injuries. Team captain Sophia Linguiti ’19 broke her leg during pre-season, while fellow captain and starting center back Kinsey Yost ’19 tore her ACL in what is likely to be a season-ending injury.

“The injuries on our team have definitely been difficult both on the field and off,” midfielder Camila Rodlauer ’21 said. “Emotionally, it has been tough to see some of the seniors missing out on their last season playing soccer. Yet, every day we are reminded of the privilege it is to be able to represent Wesleyan on the field.”

Midfielder Andi Wiley ’22 feels the same way, seeing opportunities in adversity.

“We are using these changes to motivate us not only to play ourselves and our team, but to play for the girls who wish they could be putting their cleats on with us,” Wiley said.

Last season, the Red and Black faced a rather disappointing end, finishing 10th in the NESCAC standings (1-8-1) and failing to make the playoffs for the fourth consecutive year. However, this year, a brew of optimism can be felt all across Jackson Field. For many players, this seems like the year for the Cards to finally return to their glory days and post a winning season.

“Whenever we tell people that our class has never made playoffs, they automatically assume we aren’t good at soccer,” Young said. “But I always remind people that the NESCAC is one of the most competitive leagues in Division III. Everyone knows that anything can happen in the playoffs, so we just need to make sure we can secure a spot this year, and I’m very hopeful we can do that.”

“Our team chemistry is really great this year,” Rodlauer said. “We have a large senior class of girls who have created a great team dynamic, as well as a championship culture. They lead really well by being an example on and off the field. Overall, everyone is committed to working hard, and we want to make each other better every single day. It really doesn’t get any better than getting to play the game you love with thirty-one of your closest friends.”

Head coach Eva Meredith has returned for her 15th consecutive year at the helm. Under her coaching, Wesleyan won the NESCAC tournament back-to-back in 2009 and 2010. Meanwhile, Wes also made nine first-year additions to the team in time for the season, including goalkeeper Sarah Hammond, midfielder Andi Wiley, and forward Shay Crotty.

“The newcomers have all proven themselves to be great players, especially amidst all the injuries we’ve faced…,” Young said. “Andi [Wiley] and Mel [Wilhelm], for instance, have stepped up and dominated the center midfield alongside our veteran players. They can run for 90 minutes and never get tired. All of the seniors joke about how we miss the days of soccer when we weren’t so old and sore.”

Come out and support the Cardinals, as the squad takes on Mount Holyoke College today (Sept. 18) at Jackson Field at 4:30 p.m.

Franklin Ribli can be reached at fribli@wesleyan.edu.