Following a long search process, the University has appointed a new Caleb T. Winchester University Librarian. Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs Joyce Jacobsen announced the decision in an all-campus email on Thursday. Andrew W. White will officially assume his new role this summer.

White will take the place of Diane Klare, who has twice held this position in an interim role. The University’s previous Caleb T. Winchester Librarian, Daniel Cherubin, passed away in October 2017.

White has previously worked at Connecticut College and Bates College. He is now employed by Bates as the Director of Academic and Client Services. He has a bachelor’s degree from SUNY Buffalo and earned two master’s degrees—a master of arts in English and a master of library sciences—from Indiana University.  

A search committee comprised of members of University faculty, staff, and students fielded candidates. On April 3-5, three of the four finalists met with members of the campus community, introducing themselves and fielding questions. Ultimately, the committee decided on White.

“In his interviews at Wesleyan, the search committee, I, and others who met with him were impressed by his collaborative leadership style and his depth of knowledge regarding library issues,” Jacobsen’s all-campus email reads.

White’s tenure officially begins July 2, 2018.

Molly Schiff can be reached at mschiff01@wesleyan.edu.

A previous version of this article reported that White also held the position of Interim Vice President for Information and Library Services at Bates College. At the time of publication, White held only the role of Director of Academic and Client Services.