Manager Caitlin O'Keeffe ’17 is working to increase offerings and student participation.

Ever found yourself struggling to find a way to get that exercise that every college student needs? Club and intramural teams can be too much of a commitment for many, and, let’s be honest, the weight room at Freeman can be intimidating. For those who yearn for a structured class that can get up their heart rates and clear their minds, Wesleyan Body and Mind (WesBAM!) is the solution. To learn more about the incredible student run program, The Argus caught up with the current WesBAM! manager, Caitlin O’Keeffe ’17.

The Argus: For those who don’t yet know, what exactly is WesBAM! and what does it offer?
Caitlin O’Keefe: WesBAM! is a student-run fitness organization taught for students by certified student instructors. Our goal is to offer accessible fitness to our entire community, because “fitness” is a broad term that has different meanings for different people. We aim to offer activities that will get each member of our community excited about health and wellness in their own unique way. This semester, we’re offering a wide variety of group exercise classes ranging from kung-fu to Zumba, and from high-intensity interval training to yoga.

A: Can you expand WesBAM!’s life philosophy?
CO: We’re not simply an opportunity to improve physical fitness. We take a holistic approach to health, because especially on a high-pressure campus, physical and mental wellness are interrelated. On top of our regular exercise classes, we prioritize planning workshops throughout the semester that teach students about other aspects of health such as stress management or nutrition. Or, in the case of our upcoming workshop, Midterm Mash-Up, hosted with Women of Color House and Womanist House, we feature a combination of many different styles of exercise followed by a fitness Q&A. The goal of this workshop is to help students apply what they learn in the WesBAM! studio to their own daily lives.

A: How does WesBAM! differ and compare to other ways of getting exercise at and around campus?
CO: In terms of what sets WesBAM! apart from other modes of exercise on campus, one distinction is that we offer group exercise, rather than personally-led exercise at the gym. This is a great resource for students, because it can be hard to motivate yourself during personal exercise sessions (even for instructors). Also, we differ from other fitness/sports-related organizations on campus because we’re basically a mini-fitness studio. We offer students a professional fitness studio experience for $5 a class, except our free Community Classes, of course, rather than the typical studio drop-in fee of $15 or $20.

A: What new offerings does WesBAM! have in store this year?
CO: This year, students can expect a revamp of traditional WesBAM! programs and events, as well as an increased collaboration with other student groups. For instance, we’ve been putting more emphasis on our Saturday Community Classes this year by incorporating themes into the workout, and making a conscious effort to make each weekend something special and distinct from our regularly scheduled fitness classes. We also plan to host more promotions for students to break up the monotony of the semester. Next month, we’re planning to host a “bring your friend to class week,” which will hopefully be lots of fun, and will also feature a discount. Finally, we do have some fun new classes in the works for next semester, but those plans are top secret at this moment.

A: How did you get involved in WesBAM! and how can others?
CO: I first became involved with WesBAM! after I received my primary group exercise certification to teach in 2014. I have always loved exercising, and WesBAM! offered me a way to share this passion with others and improve my own technique. Anyone can be involved with WesBAM! in two distinct ways. The first is to become an instructor, which requires going through a certification process within the discipline you want to teach. I’m planning on getting some information on our blog by the end of the semester about some common accredited certifications for exercise enthusiasts looking to join our team. The second way to get involved is to simply be a part of our WesBAM! community. We shape our classes and our programs based on what students want to learn, and I personally have had great success planning my class routines in response to what students say they like or dislike to do, except for squat jumps; those are non-negotiable in my class. Come meet the instructors in our classes, or check out one of our weekend Community Classes or workshops. The best way to get involved is to come sweat with us.