In light of the Molly overdoses that took place in February, two students are facing prison sentences of up to 40 years.

On Friday, May 25, federal prosecutors held a press conference at U.S. Attorney Deridre M. Daly’s New Haven office to announce charges related to the Molly overdoses of several Wesleyan students in February. Authorities charged two former Wesleyan students, expelled after their arrests, with selling illegal drugs tainted with “Spice” or “K2” earlier this semester.

Representatives of three law enforcement agencies announced at the press conference that a federal grand jury has indicted the students with charges related to the sale of Molly on campus.

The students are accused of conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute MDMA and AB Fubinaca, the scientific names of the synthetic components of Molly. Additionally, they are accused of one count of attempted distribution of MDMA and distribution of AB Fubinaca. Each of the charges carries a possible prison sentence of up to 20 years and a fine of up to $1 million.

Additionally, the students are accused of selling MDMA within one thousand feet of a private  college. This charge carries a minimum prison sentence of one year and a maximum of up to 40 years, as well as a fine of up to $2 million.

• Adam Hurter

FYI, “molly” can be anything, really. It’s just a street term. MDMA is what it’s typically thought to be, but a very wide range of substances are sold under the name molly. So MDMA and AB Fubinica are not “the scientific names of the synthetic components of molly.” I know it’s difficult to get this right, but it’s important that you do. These former students very likely had no idea what they were actually selling. Pure MDMA would never hospitalize anybody.

• DKE Bro

Your failure to name the students involved in this debacle is a continuing testament to your low journalistic ethics.

The two arraigned students are Eric Lonergan and Zachary Kramer

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/23/nyregion/federal-drug-charges-for-wesleyan-students-in-overdoses.html

• EM

AB-FUBINACA is a relatively new synthetic cannabinoid (AKA Spice, K2) research chemical and is not designed for human use with several cases of severe illness or fatalities which are completely unrelated to MDMA. One “theory” of why Molly is named as such is because people who got the straight, pure MDMA called it Molly for Molecule(ar) as it was sold as the fine white to off-white powder, sometimes with larger chunks like brown sugar, sometimes in vegi-gel caps or as the straight powder in a drink or just “dipping your finger in – MDMA is the chemical abbreviation for MethyleneDioxyMethAmphetamine (which is technically unrelated to “meth”amphetamine besides a similar chemical composition). Ecstasy is generally a pressed pill and could be cut or laced with many other chemicals including speed, meth and sometimes heroin, although the cheaper meth is often the first choice of sketchy dealers etc.

The two students who should be arraigned on Federal charges are Ms Brill, and Ms Morgan, who are maquerading as students and as journalists, and thereby defrauding the citizenry of public monies.