Women's Tennis cemented its newly minted 17th overall national ranking with a whopping victory over Bates

The women’s tennis team, recently ranked 17th, is looking forward to a string of NESCAC matches after taking down Bates College last weekend, 8-1.

“Court conditions were tough at Bates, but everyone adjusted extremely well,” said Jessica Seidman ’15. “We all prepared well mentally and knew how to remain calm despite the challenging circumstances.”

Eudice Chong ’18 dominated at the first singles spot with a score of 6-1, 6-0. While second singles player Helen Klass-Warch ’18 fell in a close battle, losing 6-10 in the tiebreaker after being tied at one set, Aashli Budhiraja ’18 held off her opponent to win 6-4, 6-4 in her match at the third spot.

Nicole McCann ’18 was victorious, 6-4, 6-2 in the fourth singles position, and Dasha Dubinsky ’18 claimed a win at the fifth singles spot, 8-6. Captain Anna Howard ’15 finished off the singles matches with a strong  win, 8-2 win at the sixth singles position.

Coach Mike Fried, however, believes it was the doubles matches that set the tone for the day.

Chong and Klass-Warch won handily at the first doubles position 8-4, and McCann and Howard took their match at second doubles, 8-5. Budhiraja and Dubinsky also had a successful match, only dropping three games on their way to an 8-3 triumph.

The strong performance at Bates only helped to reaffirm the team’s confidence after gaining its new national ranking.

“The new ranking is amazing and really demonstrates how much hard work we have been putting in. It will definitely serve to motivate us even more,” Seidman said. “We know that we are capable of doing even better and this is just an indicator of more great success that will come.”

Fried added to Seidman’s sentiments regarding the team’s mojo heading into the remainder of the season.

“We’re definitely excited about our move up in the national rankings,” concurred Fried. “At the same time, we’re focusing on our training and our upcoming schedule and not worrying too much about anything else! I think we’re gaining both experience and confidence, but we also know we have work to do to be able to compete at an even higher level.”

The new national ranking has also helped the team set some new goals. Seidman hopes that the team will make both NESCACs and NCAAs this year, and he is also very excited for the Trinity match on April 22.

“I am looking forward to the Trinity match because it is a huge opportunity to compete with a really good team and see how far we have come,” Seidman said. “I believe we have the potential to make it a close, competitive, fun match this year.”

Seidman also has set some personal goals for the season.

“I hope to work as hard as possibly can every minute I am on the court. I want to continue to appreciate the experience of playing college tennis and being part of a team because it truly is a privilege,” Seidman said.

With players this dedicated, it is not surprising that the team has had such a strong performance so far this year. They’ll have a chance to keep their success up when they take on Conn. College at home on Saturday, April 4, at 2 p.m.

“I am super excited to play Conn.,” Seidman said. “We have done really well against them in the past so hopefully we can continue this tradition. There is definitely more energy at home matches because this is our territory and we know it best.”

Wes currently sits fourth in the conference with a bunch of teams at 1-1, while the Camels are tied for last at 0-1, dropping their only contest to Trinity, 0-9. The Cardinals are 21-19 all-time against Conn., but Wes has won the last three contests and is firing on all cylinders with its new faces dispersed throughout the ladder.

“We’re definitely happy to be playing back at home and hope to put together another strong NESCAC performance,” Fried said.