It wasn’t sexual assault. Never at any point did I feel unsafe with him. I knew he wouldn’t hurt me—he was sober, had been relatively nice to me earlier, and seemed perfectly normal the last time we hooked up. But that didn’t stop me from feeling disregarded, small, and insecure leaving his room the next morning.

He said things that made me cringe with discomfort. “You’re so tiny, I could crush you if I tried.” His rough play and aggression had no boundaries. “A little rough didn’t hurt anyone. I know you like it,” he would smirk and continue when I told him to stop. He pushed me to go farther than I wanted to, repeating multiple time that “my hands weren’t enough for his dick.”

It wasn’t sexual assault. I don’t blame him. He told me that he was into BDSM, that the girls he previously hooked up with were into his rough play and aggressive tendencies, that he liked sex a lot. I wholeheartedly respect his preferences—I just wish he respected mine.

“But he didn’t force you to do anything you didn’t want to. Even if he pressured you, you decided to give in.”

Being with him made me feel small, belittled by his aggressive actions and consistent pressing for more. I could have been firmer with him, I could have said no and left, I could have fought back. But I didn’t, because under his strong, pressuring, aggressive personality, I felt powerless. I didn’t feel scared or unsafe, but I felt insignificant. I was under his control, and “no” didn’t feel like an option.

What made me feel worst about the experience was talking to my friends about it the next day. They laughed when I recounted the words he said to me, and responded with “oh that’s hot,” when I described his aggressive actions. They shrugged and said, “I mean, he was always nice to me,” when I told them that I felt disrespected by him. I went to my friends seeking comfort after an uncomfortable experience, but left only feeling more uncomfortable. I felt him rising higher above me, lifted up by their words of dismissal and casting a darker shadow over me. I felt like the one who messed up—for not going farther with him, for not enjoying all the aggression and rough play, for feeling violated.

Sexual assault is often subjective. One may not believe that they are doing anything that a victim would call harassment. While his past hookups or some of my friends might deem how he was in bed to be “hot” and pleasurable, those aren’t my personal sexual preferences. I never wanted to go after him or report him to authorities. It wasn’t sexual assault, I never felt scared or unsafe. But I didn’t deserve the feelings of insecurity, helplessness, and disrespect under his controlling power.

While we can’t always go after the person who causes these feelings, the best thing to do for someone who feels sexually violated is to try and understand them, to be sympathetic and comforting. Looking back on the experience, I feel more wronged by my friends than I do by him. At the end of the day, he’s just some guy who gave me a bad experience in bed, and I got over what he did fairly quickly. But they were my friends. I turned to them for support and comfort, yet felt more uncomfortable and unsupported than I had the night before in his room. We can’t stop others’ feelings of sexual violation, but the least we can do is offer emotional support. Even if it’s just listening to someone’s story without judgment and dismissal, showing a victim that they have someone behind them is often enough.

• DKE Bro

Just accuse him of sexual assault already. That’s what the cool kids are doing.

• student

This is why college campuses are such a mess. “Sexual assault” has become a buzzword for any interaction that doesn’t go perfectly (and lets be honest, in the realm of sex and romance, it doesn’t always go perfectly)

• sending love

Fuck the two comments above me. To the author – your experience is valid and your feelings are valid. He made you feel powerless and refused to respect your boundaries – coerced consent ain’t consent. You have every right to feel violated, uncomfortable, or disrespected. Thinking of you over here at Tufts, sending lots of love. You’re not alone and I’m sorry your friends and community aren’t being supportive as you try to process and heal from this experience.

• JG

my diagnosis: if he gave you want you wanted outside the bedroom, you would have loved him for making you feel that way inside the bedroom.

what the “sexual assault” narrative does, is it allows women to take vague, complicated dissatisfactions with relationships and translate them into concrete grievances that are easy to articulate and relieve them of responsibility for . . .well. . . everything.

and because “sexual assault” has now been redefined to encompass virtually every real-world act of heterosexual love-making (coupled with a twinge post-coitus regret), its the perfect, go-to solution for those eager to avoid critical self-examination about relationships/courtship, etc.

Funny how when you “hook up” with someone you often end up with a person who is more concerned with their own needs and wants than yours.

• Youreridiculous

This is not sexual assault, this is not anything. He said he was into bdsm and what you thought the “lovemaking” was going to be tender/sweet? Get over yourself and stop trivializing actual sexual assault.

• PrettyOldAlum

I’m a married female alum in my 30s. I thought this piece was important and real. For me, a great and empowering reminder about the true definition of consent. Thank you to the author.