Captain Jordan Fabien ’15 shoots the breeze with The Argus about finishing the football season on a high note.

At the youth level, one of the most preferred position is wide receiver because this player can score points while avoiding most of the vicious hits from oncoming defenders. Wesleyan wide-outs have accounted for 14 of the 26 touchdowns this season, which is good for second in the conference. Additionally the Cardinals’ wide-out corps has totaled the fourth highest number of receiving yards at 1324.

Sporting one of the fiercest beards in the ’CAC, Captain Jordan Fabien ’15 deserves praise for his pass-catching skills and ability to elude defenders on the gridiron. Fabien is second in the NESCAC with 432 receiving yards and 5 touchdowns, including a 68-yard scoring play against Amherst. The senior sat down with The Argus to talk about his thoughts on the season so far, as well as what the team needs to do in order to beat Trinity, a feat that hasn’t been accomplished by the current senior class.

The Argus: What has been your favorite part of the season so far?

Jordan Fabien: Knowing that it is going to end soon. Knowing that it is the last season, the last time that I’m going to be playing with my guys, the last time I’m going to be playing organized football, and the time I’m going to feel a certain feeling. I think that’s been on my mind the entire time, and that’s the best feeling.

A: What was the play call in the huddle on the long touchdown reception against Amherst, and how did the play unfold?

JF: The play call was an audible. We had run a lot of comebacks on the outside, and it was easy to run it against Cover 4. They were biting on it more and more as we ran it, so Jesse [Warren ’15]—when we got back to the sideline—he said we were going to run a stutter and a fade. He said the next comeback, it’s going to be stutter, and he did that; and I was able to get behind the defense, and he threw a perfect ball.

A: Has being a captain on the team this year changed your perception of how you practice and prepare for games?

JF: It does. I’ll do things for the team, and there are certain things that I won’t do for myself, but for the team, like I’ll be loud in certain times where I may not be feeling good for practice or it may be a down day. I have to stay positive, loud, and vocal so that the team can stay motivated and we can keep the momentum up and have good practices and have good games.

A: How has the chemistry helped the team win games with a lot of the key parts on the offense being seniors?

JF: I think that’s the key part of the offense. We’ve all been together at least three years, and we’ve been able to come together as an offense. We’ve been able to talk but most importantly to adjust, especially passing-wise. We are able to adjust in a way that we weren’t able to do freshman and sophomore year. That’s really important and something that we wouldn’t have been able to do without experience and playing with each other for a long time.

A: Growing up, who was your favorite athlete, and have you tried to emulate your playing style or work ethic after hir?

JF: Steve Smith, and I definitely try to emulate his playing style, his attitude. This is because he is a physical receiver, and that’s always the type of receiver that I wanted to be. Wes Welker is another guy, especially when he was on the Patriots. He’s always reliable, and I like to be the reliable type of receiver. If you’re going to throw me the ball, I’m going to catch it, and I’m sure as hell going to get a first down, if not more. Those two and other receivers like Randy Moss, of course. You just want to get into the end zone and catch those fade balls.

A: What is a fun fact that most people may not know about you?

JF: I play the alto saxophone. I’ve been playing since fifth grade. I stopped playing for a couple of years once I got serious with football. I picked it up [again] not too long ago and am just getting the rust off and starting to play again.

A: Jazz or classical?

JF: It was classical, but now I’m leaning more towards jazz, being that I’m not in a band and am more solo.

A: The Bantams are only allowing just over 10 points per game to their opponents. Have you seen anything on film that you think the offense can exploit?

JF: Trinity is very much like Amherst. They’re really good at stopping the run and are fast and big on the inside. We’re going to have to pass a little more, something we’ve been able to do over the past couple of weeks. Passing is something we’ve been successful at and something that we’re going to be successful at. If you want to pick apart the defense, that is how we are going to have to do it.

A: Wesleyan is in the top half of the conference in committing turnovers. How can the team limit these costly mistakes against Trinity?

JF: Stay disciplined and hold onto the ball. Jesse has been doing real well passing the ball and not throwing many interceptions. What it comes down to is just holding onto the football; it’s all mental.

A: Trinity is a little weaker than in past seasons, already having two losses. What do you think will be the key to getting a victory on Saturday?

JF: We need to make fewer mistakes than Trinity is going to make. They’re a very physical team and they are as experienced as we are, especially on defense, so we just have to make less mistakes than they do, and make sure that those mistakes won’t cost us the game, like penalties, dropped passes, or fumbles.

A: Playing your last home game as a Cardinal is definitely motivation. How do you think you will handle the excitement and/or the nerves that come along with it?

JF: The bigger the crowd, the more exciting it is, and the better you’re going to play. The higher the competition, the more ability is going to come out. You know it’s your last game, so it’s all or nothing. You’re not saving your body for next week. It’s literally all or nothing, so you’re going to sacrifice your heart, body, and soul to win this game.

A: When the game and season are over, how would you like to look back on your time as a member of the football team?

JF: I want to look back as first, having an impact on the football program, and second, having a great time with great football players, great guys individually, and a great group. Having an experience that a lot of people aren’t able to have—especially being on the field with a team for so long, not just one or two years, but being with the same team for the majority of the time—and having experiences with these guys is special. I want to be able to look back maybe 10 years down the line and get to talk, mess around, and just have a good time with the guys.