A University student has been hospitalized after a fall from a third-story window at a campus fraternity house.

Early in the morning on Sunday, Sept. 7, a female sophomore fell out of a third story window at the Beta Theta Pi fraternity house, incurring serious injuries. Both University Public Safety (PSafe) and the Middletown Police Department responded, and the student was transported by helicopter to St. Francis Hospital in Hartford.

As of Monday, Sept. 8, the student was in stable condition, according to The Hartford Courant.

Vice President for Student Affairs Michael Whaley alerted the student body via email several hours after the incident. The University has not released the student’s name out of respect for her privacy; The Argus is choosing to do the same.

NBC Connecticut reported that, according to the Middletown Police, the incident does not seem to have been the result of any foul play.
In a follow-up email to campus sent Sunday afternoon, Whaley reported that the student is improving and is with her family. Middletown Police Department and PSafe are still actively investigating the issue.

“These agencies are coordinating with each other to speak with the student’s friends, those who may have been with her prior to her fall, and residents of Beta who may have information about this terrible accident,” Whaley wrote in an email to The Argus. “When the investigation is complete, we will all have a better sense of the incident.”

The University is providing resources for concerned students at this time.

“We are also reaching out to and supporting the student’s friends here at Wesleyan—in this regard, the staff in Residential Life, the class deans, and CAPS therapists are great resources and continue to provide support,” Whaley wrote.

Interim Director of Public Safety Tony Bostick declined to comment, stating that the details of the investigation need to remain confidential to maintain its integrity.

Whaley stressed that while the University is conducting a full investigation, the student’s well-being is its main priority.

“Our concern has necessarily been on the student and her family,” Whaley wrote. “Although her injuries are serious, we continue to hope for her complete recovery.”