c/o wikipedia.org

Having lived in France for a year, I can confidently say that the best crepes are Parisian ones served hot off the streets. I do, however, make a mean crepe myself, and this recipe is one of my absolute favorites to share with friends and guests. Not only will you impress them with your sophistication and knowledge of French cuisine, you’ll also spare yourself the sticky, syrupy mess that accompanies regular pancakes.

And here’s the bonus: crepes are ridiculously simple to make! The most daunting part is flipping the crepe smoothly into the pan, but even that can be accomplished with ease. Much how tossing pizza dough into the air only works in movies, trying to flip a crepe without a spatula is way harder than it looks, and you will probably fail miserably in your own kitchen. Instead, follow the steps below as closely as possible, and you’ll be a pro in no time!

Ingredients

1 cup flour

1 cup milk

1/2 cup lukewarm water

4 eggs

1/4 cup butter, melted

1/2 tsp. salt

3 tbsp. sugar

1 tsp. lemon zest

2 tsp. vanilla

Directions

1. Mix ingredients in a bowl. Stir until the batter is a smooth, yellowish liquid.

2. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. (Skip this step only if absolutely necessary.)

3. Use a 1/3 cup measure to pour the batter into a medium-sized, nonstick pan.

4. Swirl the pan until the batter evenly coats the bottom and reaches midway up the sides. Make sure to lift the pan off the stove as you do this.

5. Use a spatula to scrape down the edges of the crepe once it is lightly crisped.

6.  Flip the crepe over by sliding the spatula under a part of the crinkled edge.

7. Allow the crepe to cook for 15-30 seconds more.

8. Tip the crepe out of the pan onto a plate near the stove. The underside of the crepe should be pale with medium brown streaks or dots.

9. Serve with lemon, Nutella, jam, fresh fruit, or (powdered) sugar and butter. Enjoy!