The Argus spoke with members of the Class of 2018 about the dishes from home they’ll miss the most. Judging from the range of cuisines they described, this year’s incoming freshmen have as highly diverse tastes as backgrounds.

“Shrimp and grits. It’s cornmeal ground up with shrimps in it, and it has different seasonings and stuff in it. It’s just like a Southern comfort food kind of thing. It’s really comforting.”

-— Emery Frick ’18, Orange Beach, AL

“Carne asada, which is Mexican barbecue. My dad used to be a chef, so he’s really good on the grill. It’s just this authentic Mexican food, comes straight from Mexico.”

— David Lopez-Wade ’18, Las Vegas, NV

“We make a pasta dish with prosciutto and peas. It’s a typical thing that we make on a weeknight, and it’s usually when my dad’s in town. So we all eat together.”

— Tess Iannarone ’18, Bethesda, MD

“Chicken rice. Basically, it’s just roasted chicken on top of rice with soy sauce. It’s cheap, it’s really good, and you can get it basically anywhere.”

-— Ananya Subrahmanian ’18, Singapore

“I love Chinese food, so I’m just going to say dumplings…. [The best thing about them is] the stuffing inside.”

— Kush Sharma ’18, Hong Kong

“Pizza…chicken-bacon-ranch. Nonna’s Pizzeria in town is the place to go. They make it right there in front of you and throw it in the oven, and five minutes later, good pizza.”

— Eric Meyreles ’18, Georgetown, NY

“My favorite food is doner kebab. It’s a Turkish food. It’s layers of lamb and seasoning and fat that you put on a skewer, and it slow-cooks.”

— Aaron Kelly-Penso ’18, London, England

“Nikujaga. [It contains] potatoes and beef. It’s a dish we make with soy sauce and sugar and things like that. It’s pretty traditional Japanese [food], like ‘Mom’s dishes.’ Whenever I eat it, it just [reminds me of] my mother’s kindness.”

— Shizuhua Hatori ’18, Ibaraki, Japan

“The roti. It’s like an Indian bread…[made out of] butter and flour. I don’t really know how they make it, but it tastes good, and after that you dip it in curry. Back home it costs around 1 ringgit, which is like 30 cents here, so you take two of them, and it keeps you full for the rest of the morning.”

— Ming Zhi Gan ’18, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

“I love food in my city. [Our most famous dish is] dim sum. You can eat a lot at the same time but not get too stuffed. We go [to restaurants] for breakfast tea, and we eat a lot for a long time. We eat for like two or three hours, sitting there, chatting.”

—— Ray Miao ’18, Guangzhou, China

“We eat beans with everything. It’s just like tortillas with beans, whatever. You can eat them with almost anything. They’re great.”

— Isabella Corletto ’18, Guatemala City, Guatemala

“I would count Shanghai as my hometown, [so] I would just say the noodles. The noodles are pretty rad. They’re delicious and salty and heaven.”

— Monica Sun ’18, New Jersey/Shanghai, China

“I’m going to miss the food truck selection in Brooklyn and in the city, and just being able to walk around and grab cheap food from a variety of places.”

— Hailey Broughton-Jones ’18, Brooklyn, NY

“Probably macaroni and cheese. It tastes like home.”

— Brooklee Hahn ’18, Redding, CT

“Chicken kiev. It’s basically breaded chicken filled with butter. It’s fun because when you stab it with your knife, the butter shoots out, and it’s kind of like an explosion. It’d be the last meal of the summer every year [at camp in Wisconsin].”

-— Andrew Rachlin ’18, Chicago, IL