I was shocked and saddened when I first read the news about Wesleyan’s cutbacks in the African American Studies department. As an American Studies major who took many courses in African American Studies, the news also held a significant irony for me, since I am currently in the middle of workshops with a major European fashion brand, presenting on the myth of the American Dream and how this affects American fashion and beauty consumption. Yes, this is my job; and I could have never gotten it without the education I received through African American Studies at Wesleyan.

Since 2010 I have worked as an innovation consultant for businesses across sectors, ranging from pharmaceutical companies to sports brands to banks, in Russia, China, Japan, Germany, the UK and the US. These companies know that in an increasingly competitive and globalized marketplace, cultural analysis is becoming a key tool towards economic success. I use my skills honed in classes like “Sociology of Race and Ethnicity,” “Black Intellectual History” and “Sociology of Race and Migration” to tackle large questions on how prioritization and decision-making works in different cultures, and how business can create profit by understanding those needs. My classes made me culturally literate in a way that distinguishes me from my colleagues, and gave me the research skills to fulfill challenging international projects. Most importantly, the mentorship I received through the African American Studies department pushed me to express my views with a confidence that has bec ome necessary during presentations to major brands and CEOs. American Studies and African American Studies gave me the tools to aid businesses to innovate and grow, and I could not imagine doing my job without this education. When I think of my career, I think of AfAm.

Tawil is a member of the class of 2009.