The Wesleyan campus should be a space in which everyone’s opinions are heard, valued, and respected. My experiences over the past few weeks have reinforced that this is not the case. A variety of controversial conversations have been taking place on campus for the last several weeks, including those regarding sexual assault, Greek life, and divestment. The atmosphere surrounding these conversations has become increasingly divisive and hostile. Wesleyan prides itself on diversity – this includes people who have a variety of backgrounds as well as experiences and opinions. While Wesleyan tends to consider itself progressive, students are increasingly unwelcoming to people whose views oppose those of the mainstream community.

Having been met with such hostility and disrespect, it would be easy for me to respond in kind – to send anonymous derogatory messages or slur at people on the sidewalk, but that reaction would perpetuate this antagonistic environment. Rather than react in that way, I would like to express my deep sadness and concern for the way in which people of opposing viewpoints are frequently met on this campus.

Everyone has the right to have their own views on a given issue and to express those views in a respectful manner. Additionally, it is important to consider how your opinions and actions will affect the people around you. Having an opposing viewpoint on a controversial issue does not make those opinions and perspectives invalid. In fact, voicing them takes a great deal of courage and strength. Rather than shaking your head, making disparaging comments, or blatantly laughing at someone’s view, you should listen to and consider what they have to say. Listening to a variety of opinions is important for people to become well informed and can help people clarify their own views on a given issue. Creating an antagonistic, divided dialogue makes it increasingly unlikely that groups with diverse perspectives will come together for discussion in the future, making any mutually agreeable progress or solution implausible.

I have never felt so uncomfortable on this campus as I do right now. The way that I, and people with similar viewpoints, have been treated makes various parts of campus uncomfortable and unsafe. As a senior, it is extremely difficult to know that I will have to see the people who have created and perpetuated this environment for the next few weeks. That I will have to share what should be a joyous and momentous occasion with people who are so disrespectful and make campus such an uncomfortable space for me is deeply upsetting. More than that, it is absolutely tragic to imagine that this kind of disrespect for opposing views will continue after I leave. If this atmosphere of condemnation and disrespect continues, it will discourage the expression of opposing viewpoints and detract from the ability of the student body to have vibrant discussions. Ultimately, it may make Wesleyan such an uncomfortable space for people with differing or unpopular opinions that these individuals w ill stop coming here. This loss of diverse perspectives will have a detrimental impact on our institution as a whole, limiting the amount of discussion and learning that occurs on campus.

Everyone who is brave enough to stand up and speak for what they believe in deserves the respect of their peers. While my experiences specifically relate to the discussions regarding the WSA resolution: “Wesleyan Divestment from Companies Profiting from or Contributing to Illegal Occupation of Palestine,” the basic principle of respect and tolerance applies to all conversations across this campus and in our society. I would like to encourage everyone to stand up and express themselves and to listen respectfully to others’ opinions. We should not allow this hostile and detrimental atmosphere continue. We should strive to make Wesleyan an open, welcoming community to people regardless of their beliefs and a place where real, productive, and vibrant discussions can occur.

Garvin is a member of the class of 2014.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

Nobody should feel intimidated from having their point of view expressed.
    Multiple viewpoints and orientations are some of what make for a valuable college experience.
    Everyone deserves to have a chance to have their stories and perspectives told.
    It is not rocket science.
    Learning how to listen is sometimes harder than learning how to talk

Thank you Cassie. I wish more students at the school – as well as the administration itself – would keep in mind these basic values about respect, whatever the context or disagreement.