Gavriella Wolf/Contributing Photographer

Nick Martino ’15 is a College of Letters (COL) student who happens to be an expert at layering sweaters, flannels, and the like in these chilly times. He graciously agreed to talk to The Argus about his personal style and show off some of his best thrift store finds.

The Argus: Do you consider yourself interested in fashion?

Nick Martino: No, because I don’t follow any trends particularly. Only to the extent that I want to look the way I want to look.

A: Describe your personal style in three to five words.

NM: Earth-colored, sweaters, and warm.

A: Where are your favorite places to shop?

NM: Goodwill is probably my top, number one favorite, just because any other store I go in just feels ridiculous by comparison….but [at Goodwill] it’s kind of like treasure-hunting.

A: Where do you draw style inspiration from?

NM: Probably just from people I see around every day, where I say, “Oh, I like the way that looks, that looks cool, I’ll try that out,” or, “I want to buy a sweater that looks like that.” People at Wesleyan have a good fashion sense, I’d say.

A: Do you have an article of winter clothing that you can’t live without right now?

NM: Yes, that [Timberland] jacket is my baby. Pride and joy. It’s really warm, and it fits over anything basically. It doesn’t really button up all the way, but it’s torn, and its pocket’s torn. I love clothing with really big pockets…. It’s from a thrift store in Chicago.

A: Do you have an article of spring or summer clothing that you’re excited to break out once the snow melts?

NM: Yeah, I’ve got a really cool Hawaiian shirt I got in Paris that says “Sahara” on it a bunch, and it has little safari hats. It’s pretty fun.

A: Is there a current trend on campus you love?

NM: I guess if a trend would be wearing those kinds of beanie hats, I really like those…(gestures to a stack of beanies on his desk) I have a stack of different colors.