c/o spongebob.wikia.com

Let’s kick back to the late ’90s for a second: back when PB&J and gushers in a brown bag were the top-pick for lunch every day, when 3 p.m. marked the start time of neighborhood capture the flag, and when all of life’s problems could be solved by escaping to our favorite pineapple under the sea. Season one of “Spongebob Squarepants” opens with our beloved French narrator zooming into Bikini Bottom for a 30-second introduction to what became one of the most memorable animated shows to ever grace television.

Though we ’90s babies recall “Spongebob” as the show that always left us begging Mom to let us watch just one more, the animated comedy has made its mark upon other audiences as well. Marine biologist Stephen Hillenburg began developing the idea for the show in 1984, and he finally released the season one premiere episode in 1999. Originally planned to be “Spongeboy, Ahoy!” the show quickly gained critical acclaim.

It has been nominated for 16 Annie Awards (winning six) and 15 Emmys (winning one). It has even found relevance in the science world, as a species of mushroom discovered in 2011 was named spongiforma squarepantsii, after the main character of the show.

Though the little yellow sponge and his underwater friends are almost always included in conversation while reminiscing over childhood throwbacks (among other classics like Shrinky-Dinks, Kraft Macaroni and the Nickelodeon show “Doug”), one could say that appreciation for them has been largely abandoned as their favorite traditional viewers begin rounding their way into adulthood. I’d say the best way to say three cheers to the faithful pal is to resurface some of, what I dub to be, the most classic quotes from the most classic episodes.

“Help Wanted”

This was the very first episode of “Spongebob” ever. It begins with Spongebob waking up to apply for a job at the Krusty Krab. On his way over, he almost chickens out, but his best bud Patrick steps in to save the day with a pep talk for the ages.

Patrick: “Whose first words were, may I take your order?”

Spongebob: “Mine were.”

Patrick: “Who made a spatula out of toothpicks and woodchips?”

Spongebob: “I did!”

Patrick: “Who’s…who’s a big yellow cube with holes???”

Spongebob: “I AM!”

When you’re feeling incapable, YouTube-ing some Patrick pump up speeches is a safe bet to get your head back in the game.

“Band Geeks”

This episode is a classic in that every favorite character has a moment to display his stripes. It opens with Squidward playing the clarinet and then his doorbell ringing.

Animal Rescue: “Hi, we’re from animal rescue and heard there’s a dying animal on the premises.”

Later, during band practice, when Squidward asks if anyone in the band has ever played an instrument before, Patrick responds by asking, “Is Mayonnaise an instrument?”

Sandy shows off her guns, Plankton gets to be just a little bit devious, and Spongebob saves the day by getting the band together to prepare a fantastic number for the ugly fish at the Bubble Bowl.