The weekend match against Conn College proved a difficult test for the Old Methodist rugby squad. Despite some conciliatory tries in the second half of the game, the score gap remained too large to close, with Conn taking the contest 37-12.

A combination of poorly spread defense, inconsistent handling, and slow lineouts hampered the Wesleyan side, though their scrum held solid from start to finish. While the scrum showed improvement from previous contests, the forwards did not, in general, develop sufficient momentum or reliably secure possession for the back line. Without enough possession, the backs had limited opportunity to mount an offensive. Now with a season record of 2-2, the loss means an end to Old Methodist’s playoff aspirations.

Injuries were another factor that affected the performance of Old Meth. Alex Nunez ’14, Blake Valenzuela ’15, Matt Laskowski ’17 and Chipper Bounds ’15 were all injured in the run up to the game, leaving the squad in a vulnerable position. By the time the team left Conn College, numerous others had joined the walking wounded, including captains Dan Brugioni ’15 and Gideon Too ’14. Injuries ranged from torn ligaments to concussions, evidencing the dangers of the sport and the physical commitment of the team. With luck, most of those affected will be fit for the upcoming match against Trinity later this month.

On a positive note, a number of skillful individuals left their mark on the Conn College game, showcasing their superb play. Jackson Graylin ’17 demonstrated keen running ability, at times evading four or five players in a row. His great pace was complemented by exemplary handling and tackling in the midfield as he made three successful interceptions and delivered a string of decisive hits on some of his more rotund opponents.

Brugioni also had a marked impact on the course of the game. His ball skills and under-pressure kicks facilitated some offensive play, moving Old Meth out of the danger zone on more than one occasion. Strategic elements aside, he was not afraid to run the ball into contact, regularly making 10 to 15 yard progressions.

Fullback Nate Josephs ’14 also managed to maintain composure among the chaos. He had an uncharacteristic presence in the rucks, and did his utmost to disrupt and antagonize the opposition as they advanced. He made a number of speedy clearing kicks within the 22-meter line and his tackling was quite consistent, particularly near the try line.

Mike Weinstein ’17 did his best as scrum-half to keep the ball alive and reorganize his teammates when the momentum was lost. He was able to deliver solid runs, using his small size and quick feet to his advantage. There were times in the game, however, when he ran too far ahead and became isolated, lacking the support to secure the tackle area.

Flanker Hanbin Wang ’15 punched in both of Wesleyan’s tries, as the Wesleyan ruggers were only able to penetrate Conn’s defense late in the second half. Old Methodist was unable to capitalize on its only scores of the game as the proceeding kick offs led directly to tries by Conn.

Overall, the back line put in a markedly better performance than the forwards, who did not display their usual readiness and organization. The weakness of the pack was unexpected, especially given their role in securing victory against the more physical University of New Haven two weeks prior. Whether it was due to injury or a lack of preparation, the rucks and lineouts were dominated by Conn College, which had clearly spent time rehearsing their set pieces. Conn’s forwards were able to keep the yards they had gained, providing plenty of scoring opportunities on the wing.

Moving forward, the Old Methodist squad must solidify its pack and work on its defensive organization. Filling in gaps and moving as one line will be critical in their final match against Trinity in order to avoid overlaps and the clustering of players. Provided the next two weeks are spent resolving these issues, they should be able to cap off the season with a victory at home. Old Methodist will square off against the Bantams in its final home contest of the fall on Saturday, Oct. 25 at the field located on Long Lane.