This past weekend, the word “all-nighter” took on a new meaning for the production of the One Day Plays, sponsored by Second Stage. For those unfamiliar with the show and its grueling creation, let me tell you, it’s a process that destroys your mind, body, and soul.

But despite its high expectations for what can be created with little to no sleep, it is an experience that is worth every yawn. Seven writers, seven directors (including myself), and twenty-one actors teamed up to do the impossible: create and put on new plays in just under twenty-four hours.

The process began on Friday night. At 9 p.m. all of the writers, directors, actors, and Second Stage coordinators assembled in the ’92 Theater to get acquainted and discuss the game plan. Because the event was later in the semester than usual, we were able to attract a number of freshmen, most of whom were new to the University’s theater scene. I was thrilled to see all the unfamiliar faces in the room, knowing that their first campus theater experiences would certainly be memorable.

Each participant brought an object that could be used as a prop; some fan-favorites included a mask from “Sleep No More” and cat-ear and mouse-ear headbands. Then actors and directors were released (to sleep or rage) while the writers were held prisoners, forced to submit their finished plays by five in the morning.

I arrived at the theater, dazed but armed with my coziest legwarmers and a cup of double-brewed tea, just one hour later. The sun wasn’t even up yet, but the directors sure were. We huddled over the scripts, trying to decide which would be ours. By 7 a.m., each script was assigned, and the actors were just stumbling in the door. I like to think I won the lottery with my script and cast. I would be directing “Corncob Dreaming,” a short play by Matt Krakaur ’14, and featuring the thespian talents of Sarah Corey ’15, Emma Hagemann ’17, and Cheyanne Williams ’17.

Over the next 13 hours, my actors and I worked to bring Krakaur’s creation to life. Together, we discovered the parameters of his sleep-deprived world. Corey, a director in her own right, helped us analyze each character’s motivations. Actors memorized lines within three hours, after which we ventured out into the real world for breakfast.

By noon, we’d finished blocking out the play and establishing our set. Around two o’clock, the delirium began to kick in, and we decided that all of the characters were cocaine addicts, and one was a murderer. By three, we’d finished tech; the brilliant Rachel Leicher ’15 and Ian Carr ’15 helped us set up light and sound cues, respectively. We then gathered our props and split up for an hour to find costumes. Finally, at 5 p.m., everyone regrouped in the theater to run through all seven short plays.

The doors opened at eight, and as my friends settled around me in the audience, I pulled together my last threads of sanity to watch the final product. I’m no stranger to theater, but every semester I experience a unique thrill while watching the One Day Plays. I love seeing everyone come together and put on such a fantastic production in less than twenty-four hours.

The scripts were funny, intelligent, and occasionally heartbreaking: Coz Deicke ’15 ventured into the ridiculous by writing a play that featured the names of each of his fellow late night writers, while Justin Greene ’16 delved into the more serious with one of his characters candidly telling his best friend that he plans to commit suicide in the next room. The actors amazed me with their seemingly endless energy and dedication. The coordinators, Carr, Dan Storfer ’15, and Cicily Gruber ’15, were awake and present for the entire event; they are the champs to end all champs.

Did I have any cognitive function left by the end of the night? Probably not. Did I sleep for 18 hours straight the next day? More or less. Did I make memories and friends that made it all worth while? You bet I did. That’s the One Day Plays for you: no sleep, no regrets. Just theater.