After a three-year hiatus, Wesleyan’s softball team returned to the NESCAC Tournament with high aspirations. The Cardinals entered competition scheduled to face the Jumbos of Tufts University in first-round play, with the subsequent rounds being decided by the results of the first round. After a close loss in its first match, Wesleyan’s softball team took on the Polar Bears of Bowdoin College in the elimination round. In both games the Cardinals fell by a narrow two-run margin: 3-1 and 2-0, respectively. The team finishes the year with a 24-12 overall record and 7-5 NESCAC West record. Even more impressive, this year’s campaign goes down as one of the most successful seasons in program history.

“By winning the Little Three title, tying the record for total wins in a season, and setting a new record for pre-season wins on our spring break trip, the 2013 team was able to propel Wesleyan softball back into the top ranks of the division,” said Ashley McLaren ’13 about the team’s accomplishments.

On Friday, May 3, the Cardinals proved this point when they were selected as one of the top four teams in the NESCAC. This title set up an encounter with the top-seeded  Tufts.

The Cardinals were first on the scoreboard against the Jumbos in the bottom of the second inning when Jill Gately ’15 homered for the seventh time in the season. Gately now holds the Wesleyan record for home runs in a season and increases her RBI record to 45 on the year.

Unfortunately, this proved to be the sole run scored for the Cardinals in the contest. Amy Lindland ’14 singled off of a bunt in the bottom of the fifth inning, and Gately singled in the seventh.

The Cardinals were only able to muster three hits off of Tuft’s All-American pitcher, Allyson Fournier, who struck out 13 in the contest.

Wesleyan pitcher Su Pardo ’16 went the distance in the circle while only giving up eight hits with six strikeouts. Tufts earned all three of its runs in the third inning on three RBI doubles. Half of Tuft’s hits were in that inning.

In the elimination round, the Cardinals had a chance for redemption when they faced the Polar Bears of Bowdoin College. The Polar Bears scored one run in both the first and third innings. The Cardinals were unable to capitalize on any scoring opportunities, only amounting four hits throughout the contest. At the end of the final frame, the scoreboard read 2-0 in favor of Bowdoin.

“These weekend games were obviously against tough opponents, but we played Wesleyan softball and gave them both a fight,” said Co-captain Tori Redding ’13. “We played great defensively in both games, we just couldn’t generate enough offense to secure the victories.”

Pardo was phenomenal on the mound and gave up just five hits and one earned run with seven Ks. She ended the season 12-4 with a 1.78 ERA. She tallied 152 strikeouts in 118 innings, and her opponents had a mere .217 batting average against her.

Pardo now holds the Wesleyan All-Time Softball record with most number of shutouts in a season and best winning percentage.

Alexandra Beatty ’13 led the team with a .421 batting average and graduates with three All-Time Softball Career Records: 152 runs scored, 12 triples, and 114 stolen bases.  Playing in 142 games over her four seasons, Beatty’s collection of 180 hits puts her at the number three spot for All-Time hits at Wesleyan. Redding finished with 136 career hits, putting her in seventh place on the career hits list.

“I definitely think we made a statement this season and set the bar high for next year’s team,” McLaren said. “I wouldn’t have asked for a better team or a better group of seniors to finish my collegiate athletic career and can’t wait to see the great things to come next season!”

“We had a great season this year,” said Matti Peters ’13. “Coming off a rough last season, everyone was really motivated to start working hard in the fall. The seniors knew what it took for us to win the NESCAC tournament our freshman year, and we worked hard to recreate that atmosphere going into this season. The underclassmen were really receptive and hardworking, and I’m sure that the positive dynamic we had this year will continue in the future.”

The Cardinals have legitimate reasons to be proud of their record-breaking accomplishments and stellar season. Though the conclusion came a bit earlier than many would have liked, the 2013 team will be remembered for its impressive achievements. The squad brought Wesleyan back to the NESCAC tournament after a three-year drought and offers hope for what can be accomplished in the future.