For just the third time in Wesleyan softball history, the Cardinals have broken the 20-win barrier. They achieved this fantastic feat after coming up victorious in both games of a doubleheader against Trinity, against whom the Cardinals have an all-time 11-38 record. The softball team also faced a doubleheader at Albertus Mangus, and came up victorious in those two games as well, improving to a spectacular 22-6 record for the season.

The Cardinals put up all 10 runs of their 10-2 win versus Albertus Mangus in the opening three innings of the contest. Punctuated by a three-run home run off the bat of Jill Gately ’15, Wesleyan built a 5-0 lead before the home team even stepped to the plate. Amanda Roosa ’16 and Matti Peters ’13 each singled home runs to up the score to 7-0 in the second, and Ashley McLaren ’13 tripled in two and later scored herself to cap off the scoring in the third.

Laura Getchell ’14 earned the win on the mound for the Cardinals, improving to 7-4 on the year. She struck out six, walked three, and gave up just three hits in five innings.

In the second game versus Albertus Mangus, the Cardinals jumped to an early 2-0 lead in the first inning as both McLaren and Gately smacked RBI doubles. In the fifth inning, Lexi Parr ’15 added another double, allowing Roosa to score. Gately rounded the bases for the second time that day with another homer, her fourth of the season.

Roosa took to the mound in the second game and earned her second win this season, only allowing six hits and one run in seven innings as the Cardinals left with a 4-1 win.

After defeating Albertus Mangus twice, the Cardinals were brimming with confidence as they entered into a doubleheader against conference and intrastate rival Trinity on Wednesday, April 17.

After a slow start to the opener, Gately rallied Wesleyan in the third when she smashed her third home run in as many games to tie the contest 3-3. Wesleyan was able to grab the lead in the bottom of the fifth inning when Tori Redding ’13 reached on an error and was able to score on another defensive miscue. Peters then drove in Amy Lindland ’14 to bring the Wesleyan lead to 5-3, which would prove to be the final score. Pitcher Su Pardo ’16 notched yet another win; her record now stands at 10-0. Pardo racked up 12 strikeouts in the contest and only allowed six hits.

The momentum from the first game was transferred into the second as Wesleyan took an early 4-0 lead. Gately hit an RBI single in the first, and Allee Beatty ’13 put up a pair of hits and three RBIs. Gately and Beatty accounted for seven of Wesleyan’s eight RBIs in the Trinity series.

Trinity almost made a comeback in the third as they touched up Getchell to cut the lead to 4-3. Beatty tripled in Alex Sarkowsky ’14 to score and then scored off of a Bantam error to pad the margin, while Roosa recorded her first save of the year in the Cardinals’ 6-3 win.

The Cardinals face Little Three rival Amherst this Friday, April 19 in Middletown before traveling to the Lord Jeffs’ turf for a doubleheader on Saturday, April 20.